• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i tell her now?

Buns"r"us

New Kit
Hi guy's
I dont quite know what to do right know and could desperately do with some advice.
Im looking after my friend Lexi's rabbits while she is away on holiday for 2 weeks,last night 1 of her bun's Barney was found having a seizure,i made him comfortable and stayed up all night with him,he seemed ok until about 5am when he started fitting again,this time he was having one after the other,i phoned the emergency vet number i was left and the vet came straight out.
Poor Barney was still having seizures when the vet got here an hour and 10 mins after they started,apparently he had E.C a couple of months ago and this was probably a result of that.:cry:
The vet put him out of his misery straight away and said there was nothing they could do :cry:
Now i dont know what to do,should i call Lexi and tell her whats happened and spoil her holiday or should i leave it until she gets home to tell her? either way she will be devastated as this was her baby,she had him at least 6 yrs
:cry:

Lucy x

R.I.P BARNEY BOY XXX

I think if bun was ill you should tell her - but as it's too late - I wouldn't. When she due back? Maybe you/vet could keep bun so Lexi could bury her/have her cremated?

*waits to be flamed*

I would wait until she gets home and leave the bun at the vets for her to make the deciion when she comes home.

its difficult. it probably will ruinher holiday, but if it was me i would want to know.

there is no right or wrong decision in this case.

xxx

Aww, how sad. :(

When is she due back? I would probably want to know if it was my bun but if I was in your situation I would wait until she got back.

if it was me i would want to wait to tell her however, i think you ought to tell her straight away as she may not understand why you didnt tell her straight away when she got back and how awful would it be if you were coming home, looking forward to seeing your buns and finding out one of them wont be there. at least she can prepare herself. ive been in this situation a couple of times where parents are on holiday and my g.dad was taken very ill and recently their dog died i felt it the best thing to let them know

if it was me i would want to wait to tell her however, i think you ought to tell her straight away as she may not understand why you didnt tell her straight away when she got back and how awful would it be if you were coming home, looking forward to seeing your buns and finding out one of them wont be there. at least she can prepare herself. ive been in this situation a couple of times where parents are on holiday and my g.dad was taken very ill and recently their dog died i felt it the best thing to let them know

I kind of agree - but if it was one of mine I would come home immediately. I couldn't stay on holiday if I knew:cry:

its a hard one that, if it was me i would want to know, so i would have time to prepare for when i did get home:( its so sad, coming home all happy to find out ive lost a bun, or be miserable during my holiday, catch 22,

What a sad thing to happen :cry: But I agree with what the others have said,if it was me I'd want to know straight away. I've experienced this sort of thing myself,my hamster Curry fell ill when I was away and by the time I got back there was nothing to do for him :cry:

I would tell her now, my family decided not to tell me how sick my special rat had gotten while I was away a couple of months ago because they didn’t want to ruin my time away :? Im so :censored: mad at them for that, he was put to sleep the day I arrived back and I cant help feeling that he wouldn’t have gotten as bad as he did if I had known and come home to look after him. I dont think my family did anything wrong really, but they didnt do what I would have done and all it would have taken was a phone call and I could have come home I was only a 40 minute flight away :cry:

Hobbes died the day after I got back from a weekend away and had he of died when I was away i think i would rather have been told when I got home, not while i was away as it would have ruined my weekend and I'd have wanted to come home straight away even though there would have been nothing I could have done about it.

I'd wait until she gets home as she will just feel helpless and probably want to come home. I'm sure she will understand if you wait to tell her.

It's always best when you agree to look after someones pets that you ask them what they want you to do if the animal is ill or dies.

No easy answer to this but I think I'd tell her straight away. If you tell her afterwards she may develop feelings of guilt about having enjoyed her holiday.

This year my guineapig was taken very ill whilst I was away. The lady looking after him informed me straight away before she took him to the vet even, so that I was aware what was happening and felt involved in the decision making process. She rang me a few times and even got the vet herself to speak to me on her mobile.

I was entirely devastated of course, especially as that day he died at the vets. However, I was so grateful that she phoned me straight away, despite it being very difficult for her.

I had time to come to terms with the situation before I came back and had been able to request for them to keep my piggy so that I could bury him; I would have been really excited about coming back to my pets for the last week of the holiday and if I'd have just come back to an empty cage I would have taken it much worse.

I am all for communicating with people immediately, after all owners have been part of the daily lives of the animals and this is chance to be part of their final hours and make sure that they have every possible care given etc. Also, because I was told every step of the way about how being pts was a possibility,a nd all fo the diganosis and the things they had tried, I wans't full of questions about 'what if ?' 'if they'd have tried..' and so on.

I Have to admit with my boarders, I have an emegency contact number that is either a relation or themselves and I would ring them. If it was a good friend I would wait until they got back. I phoned Laura (Loopylop) to tell her about Mabel but this was because it was a ferw days before her wedding day, if it had been after I would have waited until she got back.

you could tell her on her last day....so she's prepared for seeing just one, but it doesn't ruin her holiday? when is she back? Tricky one this...:?

Back