• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you have 2 rabbits in nero 4?

silverfox

Warren Scout
I have a small breed rabbit who is quite small and I have been told he wont get much bigger, I have been looking at another small rabbit. Will both of these fit in a nero 4 cage together. I have a second hand smaller cage for the rabbit I already have but would prefer the nero 4. Could anyone tell me if they could go together, I know about bonding I just want to know if this cage is big enough.

It really would depend on the breed of rabbit and what other facilities they have for exercise and time out etc. We have a nero 4 here that we use for indoor boarders, but I'd not put anything bigger than 2 nethies or small lionheads in it, certainly not 2 lops or dutches and they would then have run access throughout the day too.

yes i think if they are using it as a base and are nethies or lionheads then its fine if have the rest of the time out of it but if permenant home its way to small... i would get a 48 inch dog crate off ebay (mine was £12) so much cheaper and you can add levels to it for them and adda run to it using nic cubes or puppy pen or bunny proof the room and let out free range x

The small rabbit is a lop eared but he is only about 9inches and not growing anymore, he is a miniture breed. The other one I am considering is a satin baby (white with red eyes), it would only be short term for him as after his dad has had is bits done then I am looking to bond them together. Which means he will be outside. At the moment Moriarty the one I have at the moment comes out of his cage and has the run of the kitchen when my dog is outside. He comes out for a few hours per day. My garden is a mess at the moment with building stuff around hopefully it will be finished in a few weeks. A place for them to have a really long run is being made.

its up to you but most buns need around3-4 hours run time outside therir cages minimum and inside their cages shouold be able to do 4 hops length ways stretch fully width ways and stand up fully stretched upwards same applys if you have 2 they need to both be able to do this.... if you think that is the case(i alsways think the neros are not tall enoughpersonally) then go for it. or wait to get teh new bun when the accomodation is sorted outside maybe?

We bought one which we used when bonding two of our buns (both very small) in the bedroom and I thought it was too small even as a temporary measure. I made an open top run out of NIC grids and attached it using dog clips to increase the space and give them an area they could stand-up fully in.

I'd say if you're not sure then probably not. It's better to aim for the biggest you can rather than the smallest you can get away with.

Sorry - that isn't meant to sound rude just trying to explain what I mean. :)

Just been to p@h and had a look, for two very small rabbits it looks fine. But I think I may of decided to go for the smaller nero 3 (due to cost). I already have one cage so have decided that if I dont put them together that they could have a cage each.

Who has told you your bun is a minature breed and won't grow much bigger? My friend who doesn't know much about rabbits just bought a 'dwarf' and I went round to see it, it is definitely not a dwarf and has a lot more growing to do! Pet shops will tell you anything and some people in refuges don't have much experience with rabbits.

As far as I am aware, both cages are smaller than the recommended size accommodation for 1 rabbit. I had the smaller one for Fidget when I first got her (3 years ago), and it was too small for her then and she is a single, small rabbit (she is tiny, mini-lop sized). I would definitely not reccommend the smaller cage.

I have a small breed rabbit who is quite small and I have been told he wont get much bigger, I have been looking at another small rabbit.

What breed is your bun and how old is he? Remember rabbits can continue to grow until they are 8-9months old so if he is young he may well get a fair bit bigger. If you can't afford a big enough cage is there the option to section off part of the room for him and give him a litter tray? It's really not fair to condone a rabbit to a cage that is only just about ok.

I don't have any indoor cages but :shock: :shock: :shock: is all I can say at this thread.

I would have rather you spent your money on a dog crate and added shelves, did you look on ebay or your local ad paper? It would have been so much better for your buns.

Dog crates (48") are real cheap on ebay and a cheap bit of plywood or mdf from a diy shop and you can set up a great 2nd level for them. Probably for the same price or less a nero 3 in P@H and your buns would have alot more room for a cheaper price. x

Have a look at the bunnies in my siggie. Is your bun more like rosie (with tiny uppy ears) or honey/sooty with lop ears?

If more like rosie then you probably have a netherland dwarf and they don't get very big at all and you'd probably be fine with a Nero 4 as long as they have 4-5 hours running around time. If he's got loppy ears then he may be a "dwarf" lop...which are actually quite big. Even a mini lop would be too big in a nero. If he's got a mane then he might be a lionhead which are a small breed but still too big for a nero.

The best housing for house buns is either a dedicated bunny room (ours are in the utility room) or a dog crate, preferably attached to a run.

If you've ordered the cage but haven't bought it yet, I'd cancel the order. You could then use it to buy something larger.

I'm a strong believer that the money you invest in good accommodation is ultimately saved in vets fees, as a rabbit that can run, stretch, jump and play is a healthier and happier bun!

Back