• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Silly Lily! U/D Baytril Question

Stickybun

Warren Scout
I seem to have one determined little wabbit on my hands. Lily was spayed on Monday, she tugged at her stitches a bit on Tuesday but left them alone after experimenting, I checked her Wednesday morning before I went to work, the stitches were fine, just a bit tighter (she'd zipped herself up a bit tighter by tugging, but they were still there).

I took her for her post-op check on Wednesday afternoon, but due to only getting home from work ten minutes before I had to be at the vets, I didn't check her stitches.

Of course, when the vet picked her up to check her, she'd removed them :roll:

I had to leave her there for them to put clips in, as they only had one left and had to get some in from their other branch, but she was ok when she got home, didn't seem bothered. They sent her home with three syringes of Baytril to give her over the next three days, and I thought that would be it until she has the clips out next week.

I've just put her to bed, checked her before I did so ... and of course, the little beggar's done it again. The wound is clean, but open. There's only one thing holding it together and it's a knot I guess she couldn't undo.

I did put her back in the separate cage from Jim, thinking it would be best if she was restricted to one level and away from him, pushed the cage and the condo together so they could still see each other, but they were both frantically scrabbling to be allowed out again, sniffing and snogging through the bars, so I've had to put them back in together. At least they'll snuggle up together tonight, no point keeping them apart if they're just going to go frantic all night.

I'll have to whizz her up there again first thing. I can't imagine when she managed to do it, I've been keeping an eye on her all evening!

Update: She seems bright enough this morning, the wound is a little swollen but not weeping, I've got to get this Baytril into her but I'm not relishing the argument I'm going to get when I try sticking a syringe between her teeth.

Is Baytril something she might lick from a dish? Or is there any other way I can give it to her without upsetting her? I don't want her getting distressed.

Last edited:
I used to put small blobs on basil leaves, then fold them up and feed them to my bun, took a couple of basil leaves, but was much better than the syringe option!

Ive heard others putting it on banana

Good luck!

Oooh, I've got bananas, I'll try that! Thank you ... not keen to try wrapping her in a towel as I've got three small children here (two of them are mine!) at the moment who would want to "help" :roll: and she's a real snarly gribbler, my finger's only just healed from my attempt to intervene in a fight when I bonded them, could do without any more injuries :lol:

Awww, I think it's a lovely name too, it was the middle name of the little girl whose mum rescued her and I think she'd secretly always wanted a rabbit named after her! The mum didn't name the rabbits, as she tried not to get too attached to them, but I think her four children had their own ideas :lol:

We're liking the banana VERY much, by the way, though she hasn't eaten it all

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

regarding the stitches being pulled... my vet said they often try and do this when they need more painkilers could you try her with more metacam?(or could just be she naughty) alternativly regarding baytril put it into or on an apple slice or when syringing it add to a bit f neat ribena it takes away the bitter taste a bit..r mix in baby food and allow to lap up off a spoon?

:lol:Thanks for all your replies - she ate the whole dose on about an inch of banana (mashed up). The vet has now taped the wound up, rather than putting in any more fastenings for her to undo, and she's got a lampshade collar. She is very, very cross :lol:

I've put her back in the cage on her own, and Jim's shut in the condo on his own (he'll just sleep all day anyway). She's banging about trying to scrape the collar off, but has discovered that she can pull hay out of the rack (though getting it off the floor isn't so easy), and she can get at the water bottle, so she's OK

I've never injected anything :shock: though I don't suppose it's too hard, she takes no notice at all when the vet does it so it's something to bear in mind for the inevitable "next time" :). They didn't give me any Metacam (although I do have a bottle anyway, for the cat), she hasn't seemed to be in any discomfort and has been eating and drinking normally, and mooching about with Jim.

I'll try Ribena for the next dose, I know she'll drink that because I caught her stealing my OH's when he put it on the floor :lol:

Thats good news that she took the baytril.

Just think youll need to watch her with the collar, make sure she is deffo getting to the food and drink ok.

I know how your feeling.
My little Lottie is going through the same thing.
Had a blocked belly high tempererature too. Got some painkillers, then the next night she pulled all her stitches out.

She now has staples and a lampshade on her head. But she finds it hard to eat and drink.

Can yours eat out the food bowl?

Back