• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Wet poo

Kipper

Mama Doe
I got a 4 month old mini lop on Sun. No idea what he ate before so I restricted his diet to hay. Gave him a few pellets yesterday morning & this morning. However his poo his very wet, sloppy & shiny.

Is this because of the A & pellets or could it be because hes not used to the hay Ive been giving him. Hes eating meadow hay, herbage excell & burns green oat hay.

Have I overloaded his system with too much hay?

Meant to say that hes currently running round the living room in & out of his tunnel & seems perfectly happy

Hay is the best thing for this. It could be the pellets. One of mine was worse with Excel (normal and light). You could try a hay only diet for a couple of days to see if that helps.

Hes now just pooed some normal poos though they are very dark but dont think the earlier poos were ceacotrophs but to be honest having never seen caecotroph Im not sure if Id recognise one if I saw it (despite having read a description)

A caetroph is normally like little balls of poop stuck together. It is not "sloppy" as such.

You could also ask your vet about maybe some fibreplex that may help get your bunny back to normal. You may need to check if you can give it to younger bunnies.

If it is more like "sloppy" poop and continues or becomes diarrhea you would be best to get it checked out by the vet. You may need to take a sample (over 3 days normally).

The vet may also check the teeth as this can be a cause as they can't eat properly but your bunny is quite young.

Hi

If you can its worth buying some bio-lapis. You can get it from the internet without prescription. Its a probiotic that you sprinkle on the food or mix in 50mls of water. My Ty has been given this from the vet as he had soft sloppy poos and some normal firm poos. The bunny needs a higher fibre diet which is plenty hay and maybe try pellets such as science selective or oxbow T pellets. Think the oxbow do a young bunny pellet aswell as a older one. Could you find out what the rabbit used to eat? Was he from a shop or centre that you could phone and ask? It could also be the stress of a new environment, new sounds and smells etc.

Fingers crossed hes better soon.

Back