• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I Be Concerned?

When I got my rabbit about five months ago, he was thin and I could feel his spine and ribs really badly. You couldn't see them though. He has fattened up now, and is doing just fine. But should I be concerned that this pet shop is probably not feeding its animals as much as they need?

I would say that you can't assume that the skinnyness is due to under feeding - as pet shops quite often over feed on pellets/bitty foods so they might have runny poos and bads tummies, they still put on weight because of fat contents, and mites, ringworm etc can become rife without much notice or proper treatment so they go off food, which I would if I was stuck in a tiny pen with no attention!

I'd say you could judge from a couple of visits on different days, one in the morning and one later on in the day on a different day, so you can judge the levels of food there including hay/straw levels, but also as to weather they have a hiding place because if they don't have one, being scared can also cause problems.

I'm glad to hear your guy has fattened up since he's been with you, and good luck with your investigations..... x

That's right. I would actually be more alarmed if the bunny was over weight.
I had a litter of 7 and there was quite a variety in sizes, some just are thinner, maybe they are not as assertive as others in getter near the food, or maybe they are just the smaller members of the litter.

So long as their tummies feel nice and round and plump they should be ok

Back