• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of feedback re Custom Made hutches - would you buy?

sam2607

New Kit
Hi every one :wave:,

I'm just after peoples feed back really. My O/H is a carpenter/joiner and is toying with the idea of launching into bunny hutches. I know a lot of you tend to build your own, is this because there is no where to buy a suitable premade/custom hutch?

I have had a look around and have found it difficult to find anything that I would class as remotely suitable for my rabbits!

I'm not sure of how far he has looked into the cost of producing the hutches yet, and this itself may make the idea a non-starter.

The idea is to make them flat pack and deliver them (which would be costly with the weight?) Would the delivery cost prove a concern for a lot of people?

Any feed back (good or bad) would be appreciated as it is still only an idea at the minute.

Thanks for reading :)

Sam

You should consider building custom made runs.. The standard runs available are not big enough in my opinion. From experience I found that there is more profit in runs than there is in hutches!!

I bought my hutch run combo online and that was delivered flat pack cant remember how much the delivery was but it is difficult to find decent sized hutches so I would certainly be interested

Whilst there are 6*2*2 hutches out there, they aren't that easy to find in the quality I'd like. Even my new ryedale doesn't come in 2ft high as standard, and many of them don't come with good quality foxproof locks as standard either. My Happyhutches came flatpacked but the instructions are dreadful, so would suggest ensuring really idiot-proof assembly instructions! A lot of people also find them arriving damaged - mine did - but it's just too much faff to send them back for just minor bumps - so courier/packaging would be a consideration too.

I also agree with the comment about runs - it is difficult to find runs of a decent size, 2ft high. I just bought 2 6*4 folding ones and have pulled the mesh off one end of each to make one giant run.

Custom is a great idea as it allows people to creatively use their available space to best effect. People will be worried about cost though so I would also suggest having some relatively standard options priced up so at least people will have a ball-park figure to work from.

I recently put in an order for a custom hutch with Dawson's Animal Housing. I was really keen to buy a custom rather than 'off-the-shelf' hutch as it meant I could be fussy and specify things I wanted such as proper bolts and weld mesh, and also, as Alison mentions in her post, I wanted both the hutch and run to be at least 2 ft high and I couldn't find that in any of the hutches I saw online :) I think you'll find there's plenty of demand for good, custom made hutches - GL!

i think you should look into it, as while they are some 6 x 2 x 2 hutches around, like alison said the quality isnt great.

So i think it would be a good thign definatly :D

I dont think I would ever buy a flat packed hutch again :)

I brought a custom hutch that arrived already built and I love it :love: Hopefully I will be able to find someone local to build my next hutch, if not Trip and Scarlett will be moving into a playhouse when I move because you cant buy proper hutches here

Postage is too much for me anyways, I couldnt have the attached run I wanted on my hutch due to worry of it breaking on the way here and I couldnt have the hutch built to the height I wanted due to size restrictions sending it :( I still love what I got though :lol:

Sending a complete hutch already built would be an option if requested, he'd prefer to do that. Defo like the run idea and some good points to look into further!

Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming!!! :D

another thing is, people often have sheds, so it would be good to have some designs for runs that would connect to sheds, like 3 sides, but tall for example. i know if you were closer id be interested in such a thing.

The ready-built hutch I have is definitely of waaaaaaaay superior quality to the flatpack one, I guess he'd have to think about whether it would be a compromise on quality to have them made so they can self-assemble...maybe also have a price inclusive of delivery so it doesn't look so expensive to deliver?

Sending a complete hutch already built would be an option if requested, he'd prefer to do that. Defo like the run idea and some good points to look into further!

Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming!!! :D

I'd prefer a ready made hutch too - it was another one of the things that attracted me to buy the hutch I've just put an order in for. I'm not very good with DIY type things ( :oops: ) and I've read some real horror stories about flat pack hutches arriving incomplete or damaged.

i would be interested in a "tailor made" hutch. I have been looking on and off for yrs for a suitable hutch, and they are never quite right. The prices can be exorbitant as well.

If he can make them for a reasonable price, they would fly off the shelves I am sure.

I have a Happy Hutch, which I bought just over 18mos ago...it was a flat pack, and is okay for guinea pigs, but probs not high enough for a bunster.

The mesh around the run is rubbish, and I had to add proper bolts

I got a Happy Hutch flat pack - took about 3 hours to put it together (we're not very good! :oops::lol:), and I agree about the instructions. I wouldn't rule out a flat pack again, but agree with all the points raised about quality, the need for good instructions, possible damage etc.

I agree that it's best to include the delivery in the price - that way it doesn't sound quite so high.

I would buy a flat pack again - I have a Happy Hutch and although the instructions weren't really a work of art, they didn't need to be, it was pretty obvious how it went together.

I definitely agree with fitting fox proof catches as standard - I would pay extra not to have to faff around buying and fitting these every time I buy a hutch!

it was pretty obvious how it went together.

:oops::oops:

I had it every which way - even after several attempts at getting the pieces the right way round, I ended up with the front upside down, and I've seen photos of other people having done this too. I can do it in about 5 minutes flat now though :lol:

:oops::oops:

I had it every which way - even after several attempts at getting the pieces the right way round, I ended up with the front upside down, and I've seen photos of other people having done this too. I can do it in about 5 minutes flat now though :lol:

I think it was in comparison to the one i had previously from P@H - it was like it was infested with demons who :censored: it up every time i turned my back. i got trapped inside it at one point :shock: so the happy hutch was a breeze in comparison :lol:

Sam, where abouts are you?

Maybe then you could start local and work your way up to flatpack, delivery and fitting etc etc

Brilliaint idea! BUT I'd never buy flat packed - useless at DIY - that is why I had to get mine from a pet shop and not the local garden centre who were probably better but were flat packed.

I'd LOVE a custom built run to attach to my shed!!

Back