• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will they stop mating and get along?

William

Wise Old Thumper
I have 2 male rabbits who sniff each other and try to mate when I try to introduce them (yes, they're definitely both boys). I always separate them then because im afraid they'll hurt each other and I put one on one side of their playpen and one on the other side and they then leave against each other (with the fence of the playpen between them). they show no agression.. its just they keep trying to mate each other.

So what are the chances that if i keep them together (supervising them of course) that they'll stop mating and get along? Iknow that if I have them neutered they'll stop but my parents dont want to do that atm (they procrastinate :roll: ) so in the meantime it'd be great if they got along so both of them could have free range of my bedroom (right now i alternate them).

they were together since 8 wks pr so when we bought them (thy may've been brothers too) and then after they matured they started the mating thing..

Are they neutered?
The likelihood of keeping two entire Bucks together without serious (possibly fatal) fighting is minimal.
Rabbits hump each other to show dominance too and in two entire Bucks this is virtually guaranteed to end up in a fight as they are both likely to want to be 'Top Rabbit'

No, I said above that they arent yet. hopefully i can have them neutered soon but my parents keep procrastinating about it

Izzy seems to be a "submissive" rabbit and Raven a "dominate" rabbit they might be able to get along untill i can hav them neutered..

No, I said above that they arent yet. hopefully i can have them neutered soon but my parents keep procrastinating about it

Izzy seems to be a "submissive" rabbit and Raven a "dominate" rabbit they might be able to get along untill i can hav them neutered..

I wouldn't risk it until neuter. It only takes a second for submissive bun to get :censored: off (which could just be due to hormones) & somebun could get injured. It's harder to re-bond after a fight, so you could end up with 2 permanently single buns.

Each time you separate, they have to re-establish authority too. So the humping would go on at introduction, even AFTER neuter.

If two unneutered boys are forced to live together they may end up trying to castrate each other, which is a very very nasty thing :(

Wow this doesnt sound good :( I think they need to be neutered asap really otherwise you'll have 2 single buns forever, which is ashame :( I have just had 2 male bunnies, they dont have all their 'bits' yet but when they do they'll be straight down the vets :D :D Good luck with getting your parents to agree :? xXx

I had two males, who did the same. I had to seperate them, and keep them totally appart til they were neutered

They arent trying to mate, they are trying to show dominance. I would not put them together again until they have both been neutered :) x

My parents make a big deal about everything. Its so annoying. I've been trying to get them to have Izzy & Raven fixed for like 2 years now :(
I wish they would just get along.. but i wanted to have them neutered for their health anyway because I know that they can get certain cancers if they arent fixed.

Next time we get a rabbit I'm going to demand that its fixed right away after getting it (unless its not old enough yet).

Thanks for the help :)

Theyre against it i think :oops: Mai... are you at school? :? :?

yea i was :lol: I was in I.T doing my work as you could see. :oops::oops:
Poppymum, no i was in school. :oops: :oops: x

Thanks senatorvass :) awh thats just what my does with anything ot do with Pebble :( x

Hello

I have 2 brothers. We got them at 8 weeks and all was fine until about 12 weeks, when we had to seperate them due to some fights. They were neutered 6 weeks ago and so now I'm thinking I may get them bonded again.

They have lived in seperate runs and hutches, but always sniff each other through the runs and they know the other one is around.

I know they still not be able to live together, but I hope it is possible.

Please listen to the advice on this forum. There are some really knowledgeable people on here.

I heard somewhere else that after the boys are neutered they almost always get along but you may have to wait untill 8 wks after they were neutered because the hormone levels (or something like that) havent completly gone away untill then

yup i would definatly wait until they are neutered and around 8 weeks after, putting them together and separating all the time is not good, as they remember and it will take bonding a lot longer if it can be done at all, good for you for looking it up as well

Back