• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with LARGE blockage of poo!! U/D 15th been to vet.

Pringle

Warren Veteran
I am so upset and just stressed/drained etc!! over past 4ish weeks Pringle has had a large blockage of poo. It feels like BIG balls in his tummy, he had been back and forward to vet nearly everyday/second day getting gut injections, fluid, x-ray etc. Their was no blockage on the x-ray and after a week and a bit it cleared up and his tummy was fine. Then he got it a few days later again, Both times he got it he got mite injection so i thought maybe it was that but now its been a couple of weeks since his mite injection and it seems to have been worse last night and today, he went to vet again today and she gave antibiotics home which is to kill any bacteria he may have inside his tummy. He is always doing round poo's but the blockage is still their, hes not poo'd as much today but about ten mins ago he done a few large poo's.

I just do not know what is causing it and i am so worried. He has acted normal up until today and he seems a lot quieter and its just not him. I am just fearing the worst... what if it just doesnt go away :(.The vet said if it continues much longer then they may have to go inside and see whats happening, hes not really eaten today which is not like him, he has eaten fine all through this apart from today. He is on 0.5ml of gut stimulate three times a day and 0.5ml of this other gut stuff twice a day...He also has the recovery powder to get once a day.

What is going on with him:cry::cry:
Has anyone experienced anything like this before as i have never heard of it. Vet is not sure either!!

Im soooooo worried, feel so sad :cry::cry:

Like i say, i dont want the "worst" to happen :(..

xx

Last edited:
A small about of science selective in morning and night with a small amount of veg. He is on grass normally from 7.30am until night time and he always has a supply of hay although he doesnt eat a lot of it, he has always been fussy but he does pick away at it xx

The only experience i have was with Claude he stopped eating and thought it was stasis but after an xray reveled a blockage,Only his gut stopped moving and after a few days went downhill,think that was more because his gut had completly stopped moving:(

The only experience i have was with Claude he stopped eating and thought it was stasis but after an xray reveled a blockage,Only his gut stopped moving and after a few days went downhill,think that was more because his gut had completly stopped moving:(

Aww :( thats not so good. Pringle has had an x-ray and it showed no blockage what so ever! thats why its confused me and the vet :(. I dont know whats causing it and i am scared to give him anything incase it makes it worse, or incase thats whats causing it :( x

big kissses

hiya, i'm no expert on bunnies but i wish a speedy recovery, lots of love and get well kisses to your bunny, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
emily xxx

Is Pringle moulting? Is there any hair in the poop? One of mine had a dodgy tum in August and he was moulting heavily, he is fine now but we can only put it down to a heavy moult being the problem?

Are his teeth OK? Could it be that the food is not being digested properly?

Can you ask your vet if fibreplex would help?

I am so upset and just stressed/drained etc!! over past 4ish weeks Pringle has had a large blockage of poo. It feels like BIG balls in his tummy, he had been back and forward to vet nearly everyday/second day getting gut injections, fluid, x-ray etc. Their was no blockage on the x-ray and after a week and a bit it cleared up and his tummy was fine. Then he got it a few days later again, Both times he got it he got mite injection so i thought maybe it was that but now its been a couple of weeks since his mite injection and it seems to have been worse last night and today, he went to vet again today and she gave antibiotics home which is to kill any bacteria he may have inside his tummy. He is always doing round poo's but the blockage is still their, hes not poo'd as much today but about ten mins ago he done a few large poo's.

I just do not know what is causing it and i am so worried. He has acted normal up until today and he seems a lot quieter and its just not him. I am just fearing the worst... what if it just doesnt go away :(.The vet said if it continues much longer then they may have to go inside and see whats happening, hes not really eaten today which is not like him, he has eaten fine all through this apart from today. He is on 0.5ml of gut stimulate three times a day and 0.5ml of this other gut stuff twice a day...He also has the recovery powder to get once a day.

What is going on with him:cry::cry:
Has anyone experienced anything like this before as i have never heard of it. Vet is not sure either!!

Im soooooo worried, feel so sad :cry::cry:

Like i say, i dont want the "worst" to happen :(..

xx

When you say a 'blockage' do you mean in his small intestines-ie hard currant poos- or in his caecum (bowel)-ie- a build-up of caecotrophs?

If the latter then this can be due to insufficient long fibre in the diet. It can also be the result of a condition called Dysautonomia which effects the nerve supply to the caecum. It is not possible to get a definitive diagnosis of Dysautonomia in a Bun still with us.

Metaclopromide can cause gripey tummy pains so that might be why Pringle is much quieter within himself now.

What is his fluid intake like? Subcutaneous or IV fluid therapy can be a helpful addition to the treatment of severe gut problems.

Has he had a blood test to check on his Kidney and Liver function?

Has he been treated with Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) ? Some Vets believe that EC can also effect the gut.

Poor Pringle :cry:
Sending him get well vibes.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, Pringle is in the vet on a drip:( he wasnt looking good this morning. Sy took him as i was at work and they said he wasnt looking very well, they are unsure of what it is and was going to phone around different vets to see if they have suggestions. He does have bad teeth problems but this has been happening for about 4weeks now and he has just got his teeth done so shouldnt have anything to do with them.

I have panacur in the house to treat them all but i havent given it to Pringle yet as i didnt want to give him that as well as all the other meds he has been on. He has had that before though :(. Vet has only given him an xray no other tests, they seem confused what it is, i may ask them to check for E.Cuniculi etc. What causes Dysautonomia?. He has not been on painkillers i think thats becuase he has acted completly normal up until yesterday. All of his tummy feels big lumps and clumps Jane so i dont know where it is :(.

The vet spoke to Sy about puting him to sleep if he didnt improve, Sy said that was my decision not his. I have come home from work. I am so worried, the last thing i want is to have to say bye to him :(:(.. Im so worried :(:(:(

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you. He is my wee boy:( dont know what i would do without him :(.... he always greets me when i go out to the rabbits and if he hears my voice he runs over to see me :(. When hes in the bedroom when i open door he runs over to see whos coming in and follows me about :(... hes my angel i need all the vibes in the world :(

DSC01433-1.jpg

They saw a build up of poo on the x-ray that was all,no blockage that could be causing it not to come out :( i hate this waiting, dont want to keep pestering the vet asking about him. I want to phone and ask about blood tests and EC.... but they will prob think im crazy :( xx

they won't think your crazy at all! When Ivy was staying at the vets I was constantly popping in to see him, and taking him toys and all sorts, I felt so sorry for him at the vets... I got to know all the staff as well!! I think it shows them how special your animal is to you, and make them try even harder to heal him, where as if you are one of those annoying people who doesn't care, or doesn't want to spend the money then the only option the vet has left is to put the animal to sleep! So pester away... it can only help!

Back