• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavioural differences between males and females

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I'm just asking this out of curiosity, as I have only had 2 female buns, apart from a male we had when I was a kid.

Apart from the hormonal stuff (I'm thinking in terms of neutered/spayed bunnies here), I just wondered whether there are any broad differences between the behaviour of males and females (eg. in bonded male/female pairs), or whether it is just unique to the individual rabbits.

I hope this makes sense - not feeling very eloquent today! :lol:

I would say it mainly down to the individual if you neuter and take hormones out of the equation. There's no particular behaviour that you could use to identify a male v. female.

I've heard people suggest males can be more laid back but you can get hyper males and lazy females so it's not a reliable trait.

Yeah I agree, pre-neuter I've generally found males to be more agreeable but post-neuter not a lot different. I find the traits tend to be more breed related rather than gender, e.g. if mine are anything to go by, lops tend to be very naughty and boisterous!

Thanks. :) Although that now makes me want to ask about breed differences! So many questions!! :lol:

We discussed this the other day actually. Whilst i do think its down to the individual bun, we've found males to be so much soppier & cuddlier than females. We have had really snuggley girls too, but supposedly male animals are supposed to bond better with female owners and vice versa, which as a rule, we've found to be true :D

We discussed this the other day actually. Whilst i do think its down to the individual bun, we've found males to be so much soppier & cuddlier than females. We have had really snuggley girls too, but supposedly male animals are supposed to bond better with female owners and vice versa, which as a rule, we've found to be true :D

Ive found that with mine too :) Both my girls are pretty independant, but are more cuddly with my brother than with me :( :lol: But both my boys are proper cuddle buns with me :love:

I was told males are more calm and laid back but my Boris boy is pretty hyper most of the time. Although he does enjoy cuddles. :lol: So yeah I'd say it depends on the rabbit. They're all different.

Boris really hates men though :lol: .

yup id go for boys anytime, i have one female whos ok shes like a little fuss, one whos being a madam at the mo and has jealousy issues between me and my male bun, but then the 2 rew girls i have are absolute sweet hearts at the mo, do they do hrt for female buns :lol: but with all animals i prefere boys to girls

in terms of breed i think how they are breed makes a differance in breeding i feel causes behavoural problems amoungst other things too, i wouldnt put a label on any particular breed though they are all differant

Out of all the buns I fostered due to their behavioural problems and aggression, only one was a female, the rest were all males! And the female was only really like it due to hormones and she was too tubby to spay! I have to say though, I have probably fostered a larger number of cuddly boy bunnies than girl bunnies, although the friendliest of the lot that I have had for any length of time I reckon was Libby and I only had her for a ocuple of weeks.

Back