• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

composting rabbit poop

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
How long does poop take to turn into compost? We've got an empty gap in our garden for 6 months that would be perfect for a compost bin if it will work quick enough. Does poop, hay & paper based cat litter make a good mix? :lol:

I'd have thought 6 months would be enough for rabbit poop compost, it does compost down pretty quickly and is one of the types that you can use 'fresher' than others. I'd add a few kitchen scraps though to vary the 'ingredient' a bit!

I've found that rhubarb in particular seems very fond of rabbit poop compost ;)

if you just have the poop then its no time at all, as my buns just go to the loo downstairs on the newspaper i just shake off the poop and recycle the paper (ifs its not to dirty) hay takes a while to rot down, you could try the double dig technique if you have nothing growing in the space you wish to put the stuff in, ive found newspaper takes a while so 6 to 12 months, its not to bad if you turn over the soil every now and then to break in up

My rabbit waste seems to break down very slowly :(

Although TBH I tend to clean out before there is any great quantity of poop or wee, so probably too much megazorb and newspaper to rot down quickly

What's the double dig technique? :D We're taking out conifers tomorrow and plan to put shrubs/bushes in the spring but it will be empty all winter.

The rabbits eat all our veg kitchen scraps eg carrot peel etc. only thing they don't have is potato :lol:

I know very little about it, but I have a feeling that I read that hay takes quite a while. :?

We can't compost all our hay and straw... a little bit, but it really does take a very long time... and if you aren't putting in any fresh food scraps, then it will take even longer

Back