• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A problem solved - waterproofing - something i thought i would share

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I have always had a problem with water, and it getting into the runs and i have tried just about everything to keep the floor of the run dry for the bunnies (they have 24hr access). Even when i covered the hutches and runs with tarpaulin, water still got in as the ground was sightly uneven and due to the sheet amount of rainfall.

Anyway I think i have finally solved the problem, and i have had an awful lot of rain to test out my solution and so far so good. It hasnt stopped raining for about 4 days now :shock:.

First, we raised the hutches and runs by adding a second layer of paving slabs.

The tarpaulin is stapled to the back of the hutch using a heavy duty staple gun (the best £20 i ever spent). This allows the tarpaulin to be rolled up and placed on top of the hutches when the weather is good. It also stops it flapping about in the wind.

I have placed pop bottles (filled with water) on top of the runs to keep the tarpaulin in place. The water collects on top (in a small puddle, which i drain using a dustpan and chuck it on the garden :lol:).

There are smaller bits of slabs on the bottom to keep the tarpaulin from flapping about, and i have added extra polythene at the sides (stapled on) whilst at the same time allowing enough ventilation for the bunnies.

I just remove the pop bottles and slabs when i need to check on them/feed them/clean them.

The floor of the run is completely dry which means no sore feet, and dry hay (they refuse to eat damp or wet hay) and happy bunnies :D:D:D:D

Pics below:

STA73578.jpg

and in this pic you can see the floor around it soaking wet but inside of the run is dry

STA73573.jpg

Brilliant idea, well done, now can you come and do my gardend, hutches and runs please?:lol::lol::lol:

My husband and my dad did most of the work, i just was trigger happy with the staple gun!

:lol::lol::lol: you have a 'husband' - sorry, still not used to that :lol:

Great idea though! looks well thought out! I use that corrigated plastic sheet stuff on top of runs to keep the rain off - I found the tarpaulin a pain cos it collected water... Love the raised paving - brilliant :thumb:

Looks great - well done! :) I must admit though, I don't miss all that about having outdoor bunnies. I'm very much an indoor person! :oops::lol:

Back