• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please.... urgent! Update... he's home!

wiggie

Alpha Buck
I took TJ to the vets this morning as he's been a bit thin recently and as he's due to be bonded this weekend I wanted to check everything was ok before putting him through that stress. Anyway the vet says his molars are overgrown and need grinding down and he is going to x-ray them while he is under. Best case scenario - he will need regular dentals -no problem. Worst case scenario things inside are a mess and " we may have to seriously consider putting him down" :shock::shock::shock:.
I need advice as I know nothing about dental problems. I trust the vet. He is rabbit savy and we changed to his practice because of this. BUT I'm sure I 've heard of buns on here that have had teeth removed and live happily. Am I over simplifying things? If things are a mess on the xray would removing the teeth actually help? I'm hoping thing are ok but this is TJ ... I can't just let him go if not, without being absolutely sure :cry::cry:
Any advice would be appreciated. I have to ring back at 4.30.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider having a dental bun PTS unless they had an active infection which had eaten away at the jaw bone. Even then, you might be able to control it with long-term injectable antibiotics.

Your vet won't be able to remove molar teeth unless they are already rotten or crumbling, otherwise they risk breaking the jaw.

Good luck, and don't let them talk you into anything you're not 100 percent sure about.

agree with above post . if inscisors need removing that can be done failry easily. but the back ones need to be already rotten through, i would see what its like and go from there. x

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51341

Here is a link to the rabbit care section on teeth.

My rabbit Molly has to have her molars grinded down, so far this has been done 3 times this year.

My vets charges £40 for this and she always comes out very well and eating well after the op. Therefore I am happy for this to continue as she is not suffering and I can always have regular dental checks for her.

I found the teeth reference section above very helpful, especially the diet part.

One of my other rabbits has had one dental again molars being grinded, and I have put him on the diet suggested and he hasn't had to have a dental again.

I would personally have the dental and the x ray and then consider your options.

I wouldn't have my bunny pts if I knew regular dentals and check ups would provide the bunny with a normal healthy life other than the dentals.

Hopefully the x ray will not show anything that isn't treatable.

Good luck, Louise

Last edited:
Thanks guys so much for your replies (situation like this are where this site really comes into it's own) and thanks for the link louise, it makes things alot clearer. At least I feel a little more prepared. I am hoping it's just a case of regular dentals. Fingers crossed. Will see what they say. x

Just had a call from the vets. Am picking him up after 5pm. He has had a dental and they found signs of infection on the x-ray but he thinks its treatable with antibiotics. Will talk more when I pick him up. It sounds quite bad, i can't believe it got that bad without me noticing, but it could have been so much worse. Will update later. x

HI

Hope he's okay.

Make sure he keeps eating, when he comes home and there are droppings.

When my Rabbit had her teeth done, we chopped her greens up, to make easier for her to eat.

Hope everything goes well.

Jay M

i hope he is ok we had our bunny busters teeth pulled out since they where not right :( but that set off other things.. anyway hope your bun is ok :wave:

well TJ is home:D. He seems fine. . .a little sleepy but ok. He has polished off some pellets and greens and even a little hay. He is drinking and his poos are normal and many:D. The vet was great. He showed me the x-rays and the molars have grown right into the bone and show signs of infection. He said they grade them 1-5 and this was a 4:shock:. There is no abscess though. His spurs are now ground down so he should be more comfy. He is on metacam and antibiotics 2x daily and we are going back next week. TJ is not a big hay eater which I'm sure hasn't helped but we are going to discuss strategies to get him munching the right things when we go back (Have tried some suggestions found on here to no avail). As far as I understand it's a case of regular dentals from now on depending on need. Thanks for your support and advice it has really helped. :love::love::love:

Hi - that is the same situation I am in with Homer, his teeth have grown through the jaw. He refuses hay no matter what I try. He does eat grass but not enough! I also plant some "grow your own" but I need a field full for him.:?

When we found out about this last September, we thought he would only be with us a couple of more months (we had previously lost a rabbit to abcess/teeth) but the vet who I saw on this particular day was an exotics expert luckily!

Homer's condidtion is now "managed" by regular dentals i.e. monthly. They are done conscious. I know that there are pros and cons against this but even when they are done under GA he shows signs of discomfort 4-5 weeks later. Therefore we can't ristk putting him under GA this often.

Hopefully TJ won't need them as often and his infection will clear up.

Back