• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lottie has been speyed :( UD.. Back from vets UD back from vets again

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
Lottie was speyed yesterday.

She isnt doing as well as I hoped.

She has blood in her wee, which isnt a discoloured wee, the blood sits on the top of the wee.. When I phoned the vets they said that they had to cut quite far into the urinary tract so this may be why and to keep an eye on her.

Im at work today and worried sick.. Cant go home until 1pm :(..

Lottie is pooing but not eating :( so the poos are now slowing down.

Does anyone know if this is anything to worry about or if there is anything else I should be looking for.

She is laying very quietly this morning. Breathing very quietly, laying, hiding away.

I hope she will be ok :(

Last edited:
Oh poor bun! Is she on any pain relief? She should be.I would check with the vet and if not get some. She may also need a gut stimulant if she isn't eating.

Is she indoors? If not I would bring her in as poorly bunnies often have trouble maintaining their tempreture.

She had two injections yesterday. And that was all they said she would need. So that will probably wear off today.

Sorry I have got all my dates mixed up. It was yesterday that she was speyed. I dont know why I think its sunday today lol :shock:

I have brought her hutch indoors and left it open, so she has the run of the place and her hutch.

definatly get her more metacam and keep her temperature warm especially during the early hours of the morning as they will drop quite sddenly.

Ok can i just request that from the vet?
Is it a tablet or liquid?

Im popping home to see her about 11, if she hasnt perked up I could get her some.

Do you think thats why she is so quiet this morn?
Her nose wasnt even twitching?

Breathing very slowly and quietly?

well it could be she is just relaxed?but if she not herself it could be more pain relief needed. they can do a 24hr lasting injection at vets or can give you some liquid form to take away and syringe feed

Ok I may ask for the 24 hour pain relief one. I think thats what she had yesterday.

Im going to check on her at 11. If there is more blood in wee then I have to take her back to the vets anyway.

So will decide then :( I hope she is ok. She is only 5 months.. bless her.

bless her try not to worry and try and keep her calm. i would wrap her in a blanket if she feels cold at all and tempt her to eat with herbs(fesh corriander parsley) or warm mashed pellets or baby food off a saucer or spoon good luck xx

I always find herbs are good for tempting buns to eat. Our Daisy was very low after her spey and the only things that would tempt her were things like coriander, lavender, mint, spinach etc.
Does she have water in a bowl or bottle? If bottle its always worth trying a bowl in front of her as sometimes they'll not eat if they're thirsty but dont feel up to getting up to the bottle.
Must admit I've never had blood in the wee of any of mine after a spey. Always possible that she could do with some more painkiller etc.
Good luck, I hope she perks up soon x x

Thank you, I might go and buy some at lunch.
She ate half a celery stick last night but that was it.

She has a bowl of water in her hutch. And one around the room. She drunk quite a bit yesterday. Will try and tempt her again.

Not using water bottle, as hutch door is open and she cant reach it.

Thank you :)

Just to add to what the others have said I would limit her space for a while to give her time to heal and avoid giving her any reason to jump. Also avoid hay/straw bedding , make sure she has fresh eating hay though of course. See if you can find any dandilon leaves to tempt her to eat. Im sure she'll be fine soon. XxX

She has hay in her hutch. That she keeps laying on!
Do you think I should remove it then?

And leave no bedding in there. She has other places to lay but likes sitting there.

after ted had to get stitches i kept her indoors with a little exercise and put a blanket in the indoor hutch so it was soft and warm, didn't want sawdust sticking to her fur and making her itchy. yeah i gave ted herbs too, only they were boredom breakers dried herbs pack, also gave her fresh grass too. as long as she's eating little and often to keep her gut going. poor baby hope she's okay.

i would put shredded newspaper...or the shredded paper bedding (wilko does it for about 69p) which will make it soft then give her a tub with hay in as the hay can get caugth in stitches otherwise soft towels are good as bedding too but you will likely have to wash them.

Thank you all for your advise. I have lots of shredded paper, will substitute it..

Im going home in 10 mins. Hope she is ok poor girl :( Going to see if she has eaten. Or try and get her to eat something.

Thank you all for your support.

Thank you all for your advise. I have lots of shredded paper, will substitute it..

Im going home in 10 mins. Hope she is ok poor girl :( Going to see if she has eaten. Or try and get her to eat something.

Thank you all for your support.

just a tip as you might think she not eating when she has had lots of tiny bits every time she eats something even if its like one tiny apple tree leaf write it down it does biuld up i know dora's list was like... 3 flaked peas.... 2d dandilion leaves.... 1 nibble of grass a strand of hay...a chunk of apple...3 more dandilions..and while its not much it keeps on building up and at least you know exactly what she has had i found mine had trouble bothering to put heads into bowls to eat food so some on your hand put under their nose is a good way to get them to nibble a tiny bt .

Got home and she still hadnt moved, eaten or drunk anything. Phoned the vets. Who squeezed me in at 11am.

They gave her an antibiotic, as they think she could have an infection, a 24 hour pain killer and something to get her gut moving.

I got her home and she went mad. Ran about all over the front room, had a drink and ate a huge chunk of apple and some hay.

What ever was in those injections I want some, she has gone loony lol. :love:

Got home and she still hadnt moved, eaten or drunk anything. Phoned the vets. Who squeezed me in at 11am.

They gave her an antibiotic, as they think she could have an infection, a 24 hour pain killer and something to get her gut moving.

I got her home and she went mad. Ran about all over the front room, had a drink and ate a huge chunk of apple and some hay.

What ever was in those injections I want some, she has gone loony lol. :love:

lol thats commen after metacam they perk up as not in pain try not to let her run around too much as you dont want her to pull the stitches or make anything worse as tho she wont feel the pain now she might later if she pulls something xx

Back