• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how can i stop....

shazzy81

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I need some advice on ways to stop Tyler getting poo stuck to his bottom and matted in his fur? Occassionally he has a soft poo that he hasnt eaten that he then sits on, but saturday i think he was stressed by the little nephews and he had really soft 'cow pat' poo. Of course this was stuck on his bottom.

We cleaned him as best we could but today hes had nearly the same again. Again we have tried to clean him but its got matted and we are off to the vets tomorrow for a proper bottom clean.

Hes a dwarf lop who is very furry. It doesnt help that he wont let us pick him up and putting him on his back has no effect at all. No diet change, no vegs for 3 days.

My partner has read somewhere about corn powder?

Help please....

Hi!

I know some people on here use cornflour to clean messy bums, they rub it in and it helps rub the poo off.

My Smokey is sometimes a bit messy round her bum, I usually trim it off or you can get your vet to shave it.

It may be worth reducing the amount of pellets he has or maybe changing brands if he is on Excel, they can cause mucky bums!

Like you said thiugh, if he was a bit stressed that probably didn't help matters either.

He only has an egg cup of russell rabbit every morning then the same at night but since saturday i havent given him anything at night apart from hay. Theres not much chance of him letting me rub in cornflour powder!! Im hoping the vet might shave his bottom tomorrow or be able to shed some light on what may be causing this. I know saturday was stress, but surely he would be fine now after 2 quiet days?

Hi

Have you tried trimming him, I trim around my Rabbits bottoms and it stops the droppings sticking to them.

Jay M

Back