• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toy WARNING - Rollin' the hay dispenser - PLEASE READ

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I bought this for my guinea pigs some time ago from the hay experts. Thankfully they no longer sell this item.

5594.jpg

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I do not have it on the stand, i just let push it around and get the hay out from it. I fill it usually every day with hay and make sure the door is shut.

This morning i found Monica, my guinea pig with her head and arms stuck inside of the ball. She had somehow managed to open the door and had pushed her head and part of her body inside the ball and she was stuck, wedged in. My mum was there, and we managed to free her by gently pulling her. I was so upset, she was obviously distessed, but she was ok, no injuries, thank goodness.

I feel i have been very lucky, and think things could have been much much worse. I have since distroyed this toy and would advise others to do the same or be very very careful. A bunny could also very easily get their head stuck inside.

I know other forum members have had problems with this toy with regards to teeth.

Last edited:
Omg! I should have posted a warning a couple of weeks back about this but forgot. :oops::oops: I really wish I'd done it now and it might have saved your little one some distress. :( Hope little piggy is ok.

I got one for Alfie a while ago and finally used it to put in his crate after his neuter. I left it on the stand & all was fine that night but the following morning he somehow managed to get his body stuck in the stand (it was round his stomach). :shock: I was only out of the room for a couple of minutes and came back and found him. Luckily, he didn't panic & let me undo the stand and take it off him.

I dread to think what would have happened if he'd struggled more or if he'd been in his hutch with it as I probably wouldn't have noticed so soon. I was thinking of using it without the stand, but this has made up my mind to bin it.

:shock::shock::shock: Oh goodness, so this toy is dangerous is more ways than one.

I am going to email the supplier of the product, and let them know how dangerous it is.

Here is there site: there is a contact address there too

http://www.superpetusa.com/index.html

With regards to contacting them, what way would be better?? Email or address and if so... the uk address or usa address?

My lot had one of these (until they lost interest) but we never used it with the stand and I used to put a plastic tie on the door, so we were problem free.

I can see how a rabbit/guinea pig could get a caught though.

Thanks for the contact info - I'm going to make a complaint too. I couldn't remember what the hayball was called, or even where I got it from, so it was impossible for me to search for details. :roll:

I'm going to try emailing both the UK and USA addies and follow up by post if I don't get a reply.

Thanks for the contact info - I'm going to make a complaint too. I couldn't remember what the hayball was called, or even where I got it from, so it was impossible for me to search for details. :roll:

I'm going to try emailing both the UK and USA addies and follow up by post if I don't get a reply.

I will do the same and will let you know how i get on :)

Does anyone have a pic of this toy? It may make it easier for peeps to avoid

OOps silly me I missed the link the 1st time I read the post :oops:

Oh my god! I thought they were a good idea when i was looking on that site but definately not now!!!! Poor little guinea!

ooooh.. i have one of these i use occasionally for a change of toy for my buns. They usually open the door to get the hay out quicker but have never hurt themselves. Guess i best stop that now though, would hate to find one of them with a head stuck in the hole :shock: Glad your piggie is ok

Back