• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxo Vacc's

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I took the rest of my buns (not the babies) today to have their second myxomatosis jabs this year. 4 last week and 4 this week, saw 2 different vets but both just gave the buns a jab on the back of the neck and not a little bit on the ear too. Have they stoped doing that?

Rabswood

I took the rest of my buns (not the babies) today to have their second myxomatosis jabs this year. 4 last week and 4 this week, saw 2 different vets but both just gave the buns a jab on the back of the neck and not a little bit on the ear too. Have they stoped doing that?

Rabswood

Drake and Josh had their first jab in their neck and ear, then all the times after that in their neck. So I think maybe they do it in the ear for the first time, then times after that, in their neck.
Jack x

My vet now always gives it in the base of the ear (10%) and the rest in the scruff, and they have had plenty of injections. If i get a different vet, i ask if they would give the 10% in the base of the ear, much to the dismay of my buns. Polo and Opal are having their myxi boosters on friday, so i will let you know how i get on.

My vet always puts 10% in the base of the ear so that some of the vaccine goes into the skin

Mine had all theirs in the scruff, but the 10% was placed in the skin before withdrawing the needle. I had quizzed the vet, who then gave me a demo :)

Maybe they put a little bit in the skin of the neck first before pushing it in deeper but I couldn't really tell when I watched.

Thanks everyone.

Rabswood

Our normal bunny vet has a way of delivering the vaccine in the same place in the scruff but does a partial withdrawal to administer the 10% intradermally before he takes the needle all the way out. Never had it given to any of my buns in the ear.

I do know that some vets give it correctly but in different sites, but I also know that some vets don't seem to give it correctly and administer all sub-dermally.:cry:

Mmmme. Was not at my usual vets as I used an amnesty vet practice that was offering the buy one get one free for vaccination month.

Rabswood

Back