• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed - 2 males or 2 females?? *pics added!*

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya all...

After being let down on getting 2 french lops yesterday, i have been emailed by a lady who has some conti giants. She has 2 boys which are 19 weeks old who shes refusing to split as they get on great apparently and 2 girls who are older i believe who get on and shes refusing to split.

I really wanted one of each sex as i know bonding etc would be easier but shes determined they must stay in same sex pairs as they rely on each other, especially the boys.

She has said i can have the boys for nothing as she cant 'get rid' of them

Whatever i get will be neutered/spayed but im just wondering which pair would be best to have?? If i have the boys will they be ok getting neutered on the same day at the vets and staying together after the neuter or will they have to be split and then rebonded?? Will they live happily together or is this unlikely??

I have 2 foster buns that are female and they get on like a house on fire but didnt before they were spayed!

Just wondering what people suggest - i would hate to do the wrong thing and end up with 2 seperate bunnies :? xXx

Last edited:
I wonder if she's insisting on same sex pairs because she's afraid that someone may use them for breeding? Don't know what to advise, but If push came to shove I'd opt for 2 males, but have no idea why:roll::lol: I reckon that whichever pair you take, if you get them fixed at the same time and don't seperate at all pre or post-op there shouldn't be any need for "re-bonding".

I was thinking 2 males as theyre usually more lovable in my experience :) But i dont want them to fight. Shes rather a stern lady :oops: Was a bit scared but i guess like you say she must have a reason for selling same sex pairs :)

I'd pick two females & get them spayed. If they are already living together your unlikely to have problems wheres as boys will be getting hormonal and a change of territory could trigger a fight. Why not meet them before making a final decision.

Im off to meet them tomorrow... got to be there at 1.30pm :) But its a long way to travel so i will have to make my mind up there and then :? I was just wondering what everyone advised... :roll:

Could it not cause a fight moving 2 females... or are males more likely to fight? :? Just wish she'd let me have one of each :( though i suppose its not 100% guarenteed that a male/female would get on anyway :?

I say go with your gut feeling when ou see them. You will know when the time comes. I don't think it matters either way behaviourally, I have known both sexes to fall out, so go with what you feel at the time.

Opposite sex pairing does not mean its easier if you ask me! :lol:I really struggled bonding my two, took 3 months! Radar was only young, and Rubes a baby. Female giants, especially pappys are known for being very territorial and dominant.

I don't think it matters which sex you get, I do tend to think boys are more laid back than females in general and would lean toward them, but aslong as you get either sex neutered as soon as you can you should be ok. Because they are bigger vets tend to be able to neuter giants that little more earlier than other breeds. :)

Heres a pic of the males the lady has sent me this evening:

conti8sep007.jpg

if it was me id have the boys i dont get on at all with girls, its always best to see them in the flesh first and go with your gut feeling, good luck in whoever you choose anyway though :D

Back