• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potty training issues

Hi there! I'm a new bunny owner. Monty is a young french lop male bunny. When I saw him, I couldn't pass him up! He's adorable and pretty well tempered (unless I try to pick him up, so I don't do it anymore unless I have to), and I would be sad if I had to find him another home. I've had him for about a month, and he still isn't giving 100 % in potty training.

His cage is 2 feet by 3 feet. It has a plastic bottom, not metal. He has room to lay down, with fresh water bowls and feed bowls, as well as a snack bowl, and a half dozen toys. Currently, I have a large corner rabbit litter pan with a metal grating (I figured it's easier to clean and he won't be sitting on it enough to hurt his little feet). When I first got his cage, I put a large cat box with one end cut off and he used the whole back area of his cage. But he was kicking urine all over my walls and his cage. Then, I tried a covered litter box and he then decided to use the top of it to potty, and got it all over my carpet. (Another issue, still smells really bad and it's new carpeting) Hence the reason for the litter pan. Now he uses it *most* of the time to urinate, but he rarely poops in it. His pebbles are all over the cage and outside of it (because of him digging and kicking them out). When I give him towels or even carpet squares to give him something soft to lay on rather than the plastic, he pees all over it.

I want to let him out of his cage for a few hours every day. I tried doing it in little bits at first and limited his running area. I know they need lots of exercise and attention and toys. So far, he hasn't pottied outside his cage, but he goes back in his cage and pees in the middle of it. Often I come out in the morning and find that he's peed where he wasn't supposed to as well. I clean out the poo every day and now that he has a litter pan with a grating, I clean it every 2-3 days. I use a natural clay litter now. I've tried putting his water and food dishes in the other corners, so he doesn't pee there anymore but he still poops everywhere and pees in the middle.

Any suggestions? I want so badly to keep Monty.

Hi to train mine I mopped up any wees with tissue and put this in the litter tray and also scooped up any poos.

After joining this forum and reading up on litter tray training I started to fill the litter tray with hay as bunnies love to eat and poo and this worked a treat.

I also changed from normal litter trays to ones with a rim and also have a small plastic dog bed which the buns love.

http://www.petsathome.com/find/product-is-11958

Last edited:
Has he been neutered? Alfie was pretty clean from a young age, but I've read on here that neutering can help with potty training because it reduces the need for them to scent mark everywhere.

I've just bought the oval litter tray bunsmum linked to as Alfie was peeing over the side of his other one and can highly recommend it; the rim should stop him from making so much mess everywhere when he digs. :)

I found my buns fairly easy to litter train as I put hay in their litter tray. Also I noted the area which they most used to wee or poo and put it there. They have improved with age, they're nine months old now and seem to have the hang of it (I didn't start training them until 7.5 months old). Although I have to admit they do like pooing where they please at times, but they are getting better.

I'm going to be getting Monty neutered as soon as I save up the money. Since he hasn't gone outside of his home, I'm assuming it has something to do with territory. Though I try not to clean his cage with him in it unless he urinates outside his litter pan, and I am as invasive as possible when I fill/change his food and water. I will have to get the the farmer's market and get him some hay. I give him Timothy hay cubes to munch on for his digestion, but it shouldn't be too much to get him a small bale.

When my children are occupied, I've taken to leaving his cage open so he can come out when he wants and I can watch him. Every time he goes in and uses his litter pan I give him a treat of fresh fruit or veggies. If he has an accident when I'm watching I clap my hands and say 'no' sternly. Then I clean it up and shut the cage door. (The first time, he kicked it everywhere and then ran out across the carpet which now smells of urine.)

I suppose this may work after time, even though it hasn't yet. Maybe I'm doing everything I can but be patient. ;)

I will definately try the hay and neutering, and I'm also starting to put his pebbles in his pan. I don't know what to do about the carpet rugs or the towels he urinates on. I want him to be comfy, but it tends to smell after a day.

I think I would give him hay to lay on for now as well, if he's making the rugs and towels all smelly. It will be one less stress factor for you while he's still learning, and once he's clean you could always start using the rugs again if you prefer. :)

This thread has helped me too, as I'm havnig problems with my rabbit changing the toileting area in his hutch. I will add hay to the litter tray and see how it goes, thanks !

i do think once neutered this will help try and let him have at least 4 hours outside of cage a day and beware that french lops grow big and he will soon out grow that cage try a large puppy crate)48inch) which has an attatched run maybe? or give him a room which he has free run in and can go back into his cage if should choos x

Boris used to be like this too. He'd pee all over the living room. :shock: :lol: He's a good boy now though,he's got one cage on each floor (a bigger one on the second floor which he also sleeps in) and jumps into them whenever he needs to. What I did was let him out of the cage,then after a while I put him back in,waited til he poo'd or pee'd and then gave him a treat. It didn't take him long to get the hang of it. :) But he's neutered which also helped a lot I guess.
Good luck with your bunster,hope everything goes well :)

Back