• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i advise them not to breed?

Mazda

Warren Veteran
i have been looking on freecylce most of the day and i came across this..

'I would like to breed rabbits, my doe is absolutely gorgeous, i will
need a hutch for when the babies grow a little older, if any1 has got
one spare it would be greatly appreciated!
thankyou!!! xxx'

Should i advise her not to breed her bun, or will i get into trouble?

If they can't afford the seperate hutches, they won't be able to afford the litter!:shock::roll:

why oh why do people insist on breeding animals, if they cannot afford the outlay.

Id send her a polite email, pointing out the cost of breeding a rabboit, including vet fees, accomodation, equipment if hand rearing is needed, extra food etc..

Rather than say that, why not direct her here on the basis that there may be hutches available and then she can get advice while here? Seems like a reasonable half-way house.

Either that get someone who doesn't use Freecycle to register just to tell her it is a bad idea and send her here anyway...

ok i will. can someone tell me the equiptment and stuff that will be needed to hand rear. :oops: cause i dont have a clue about that bit :lol: x thanks x

Yep i would mai :) sounds awful, hate it when people have these great ideas!! Grr :evil:

Also ask about the age of the rabbit and mention the risks to the mother but try to put it in a friendly way rather than lecturing :p

I would say to them that you've read their advert and you're worried about them getting into a difficult situation - that way it sounds like youre thinking about their convenience, not accusing them of animal abuse. (I know that shouldn't be necessary, but people can get narky when they think strangers are criticising them)

Send them this link

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

It's a clearly set out page explaining exactly what she'll be getting herself into. ;)

Im currently hand rearing 6 orphaned kits and i had to buy:
A big pot of lactol powder (£9)
Feeding kit (£4)
Bio-lapis (£6)
Syringes (£2)

Plus its every 4 hours, so tiring (priceless!)

i message her. :shock:
i hope she doesnt take offence.
I directed her to here, and that rabbit rehome breeding page x

:D Good on you, hopefully it will put her off and this site may prove as useful to her as it has been to me!

i will admit before i started fostering i wanted to have one litter from biggles and i was searching for a wife for him, but i have since seeeeeeeeeen the error of my ways, i still seem to have a ever growing brood though :lol: up to ten now :roll: i love my foster buns :love:

Well done chick :wave:

Occasionally in the past people have done this and the recipient of the message has got a bit stroppy, if she does, just ignore it and don't let it bother you - you have done what you felt was right and that is what matters. :)

the thing is... is that shes in the magor area!!:shock:
I hope shes not stroppy. But if she is i tried right?
x

the thing is... is that shes in the magor area!!:shock:
I hope shes not stroppy. But if she is i tried right?
x

Ah she'll not find you :lol:

I'm sure she'll be fine with it...just wanted to give you a bit of warning....cos if you're trying to do something nice and people take offence it can be a bit of a shock :shock::shock: and as you said, at least you tried, it's more than a lot of people do. :)

Back