• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering

lauraocal

Warren Scout
Does anyone know roughly how much it'll cost to get my rabbit neutered?
I have made an appointment and am worried it's going to cost a lot of money as I'm having loads of financial problems at the moment.
I'm also worried because I don't know how old my bunny is, if she was ever vacinated and even if she is deffinately a she. I assumed she was as she has nipples.

Thanks, I have just asked a local vets4pets centre and they said its £49.50, this includes pain relief, antibiotics, and 2 post opperation check ups.
This is probably going to sound awful, but do you think this is a good price?

Thanks, I have just asked a local vets4pets centre and they said its £49.50, this includes pain relief, antibiotics, and 2 post opperation check ups.
This is probably going to sound awful, but do you think this is a good price?

The question isn't "is it a good price"; the question is "is it going to be undertaken by a good, experienced vet".

I think that's a good price for a spay. My local vet charges about £65, but it varies greatly across the country.

I'll be finding out in about half an hour - Lily's been in for spaying this morning, and they offered to chip her while she was under (it's £5 cheaper than doing it while she's conscious).

I said yes to that as shes a nosy beggar, goes out to investigate every time the front door opens, and tried to dig to Australia last time she was in the garden!

The question isn't "is it a good price"; the question is "is it going to be undertaken by a good, experienced vet".

Well the vets4pets centres are all over the place so they must be good.
I've been on a virtual tour of the practice and it's nice and clean too.
I wouldn't put my bunny at risk in any way but i just want to get the best price possible.

Well the vets4pets centres are all over the place so they must be good.
I've been on a virtual tour of the practice and it's nice and clean too.
I wouldn't put my bunny at risk in any way but i just want to get the best price possible.

I'd be wary, just because something is everywhere doesn't mean it's good; and I'd want a personal tour, not one recorded before any animal set paw in the place.

Stickybun, please let me know how it goes, I'm worried about it already and I've only just made the appointment.
My bunny never digs in the garden, I constructed a 25m length of reinforced wire meshing into a run for her, also I'm good friends with a local farmer who lets me have hay for free so I pile that up in a corner and my bunny digs into that but never the floor.
She isn't too adventurous when I'm not there and has only just started sniffing the stairs if I'm sat on them.

I'd be wary, just because something is everywhere doesn't mean it's good; and I'd want a personal tour, not one recorded before any animal set paw in the place.

To be honest I don't exactly have a lot of choice.
I'm agoraphobic and we don't have a car.
The vets4pets centres have won loads of awards for their practices, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

that sounds like a good price, my spaying was £40, but many around my area chargwe around £70!!

xxx

Wow that is alot of money.
I really don't think I would have been able to afford that much at all.
I don't mind spending money on my rabbit, I don't go on holiday or go out drinking so she is the only "interest" I spend money on really.
The soaring cost of living is really stretching us at the minute though.

I have been reading about rabbit care alot and have come across flystrike and was wondering if this is as much of a concern in house rabbits as it is in hutched ones?

I have been reading about rabbit care alot and have come across flystrike and was wondering if this is as much of a concern in house rabbits as it is in hutched ones?

It can be, as flies can lay eggs anywhere, but if youre rabbit is not overweigth and has a clean enviroment they should be okay

xx

i'm on the same boat too laura, i'm waiting to gather enough money to do mine. don't drink or smoke and still can't afford alot. hope i'll get them done before christmas. my vets charge £55 so not too bad and i know their good cos ted had to get stitched up there when petal attacked her. good luck with it. :love:

Laura, Lily's home now, seems fine. Her spay cost £56 plus £15 for the microchipping while she was under. The chipping would have been £20 if they'd had to do it on its own (i.e. not while she was under GA having another procedure anyway)

My vets occasionally do a half-price chipping "event", might be worth keeping an eye out if you don't have it done at the same time as a spay?

Not sure of my facts here, but don't the PDSA help out with the cost of neutering if you fulfil certain criteria?

Hi :wave: I've used mapperley vets4pets twice to have 2 boys neautered liz there is fantastic and geraldine the nurse is really nice too i ask how much to have a girl spayed and they said £65 but you can get a voucher to help towards the cost from the rspca the voucher will be for £15

Charlie is in for castration tomorrow. I did look around and prices varied between 45 and 76. However someone suggested going to the rspca or the pdsa as my OH is on JSA. It is now going to cost 14 pound plus Charlie gets a free micro chip.

Back