• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny.

i am having problems with my new bun. I rehomed her from my friend last Monday.
Bunny is quite unfriendly and I am finding her quite hard to cope with she trys to chew things and has weed on my carpet
I never really wanted a bun but thought I was helping my friend out.
How can I get her to be more friendly? She tries to bite.
Are there any toys I can get her to discourage chewing my furniture/belongings etc?
She is rather noisy as well as she lives in my bedroom and wakes me up through the night. I am on the verge of telling my friend I cant keep her but I know it will really upset her so am rathher stuck.
This is a copy of what I had posted somewhere else on her buut I was adviced to post here to get more answers.

hiya if bun isnt neutered then this is your first step. which location are you we can advicse you o f a good rabbit savvy vet to do this. 2ndly she may be lonely company from another bun may calm her down once neutered . 3rdly moree toys might help keep her from bordem being pateint adn sitting on the floor with time she will come to you x

:wave: Hiya welcome to RU.

So your new bunny is a girl? How old is she?
There are probably various things you can do to help her be happier and more friendly and a bit less destructive too! However some of these will take time and some money and if you never wanted a bunny I'm not sure how willing you will be to do them? If you feel you cannot keep bunny there may be some people here that can help you find her a new forever home. :D

Well, its sounds like she's a bit hormonal which is why she may be being agressive and why she's weeing places (territorial marking) I am assuming that she has not been speyed?
If not, speying may reduce her moody territorial behaviour and make her calmer and more happy.
What size cage does she have? Some bunnies, if they are kept in too small a cage can become defensive of their space. A larger cage and making sure she has at least 4 hours a day exercise out of her cage may help this.
She also probably a bit afraid if she's just moved home. Sitting quietly while she's out exploring and letting her come to you as she choses and then hand feeding her while she's out may help gain her trust.
As for her waking you at night hmmmm some bunnies are fiends for chewing on cage bars. Giving her pellets in a treat ball may help keep her amused, also just getting an empty loo roll, putting a few pellets inside then plugging ends with hay may also keep her amused. Does she have plenty of hay to munch on 24/7?
Putting a litter tray in (if she does not have one already) lined with newspaper and hay on top may help keep her poops and wees in one place.

If you read through the rabbit care article on the RR homepage that may help give an idea of her needs too a bit more. Hope this helps.

Good luck, I'm sure there'll be loads of other great advice people can give for you to improve your relationship with her, or help you decide if you can/want to keep her. x x x

Which area do you live in? Maybe there is a local rescue who could rehome her if you don't want to keep her :?

It sounds to me like have already made a decision to be honest. I'm sure you have been given good advice above on how to try and rectify some of the behavioural issues, and would find more by reading some of the 'stickies' on the forums. However, there is little point in taking on an animal if your heart isn't in it, as clearly caring for this rabbit will take time and patience. It sounds like if your friend gave the rabbit away, then she would not be the right person to return it too either and I would consider finding a rescue if you think you don't have the time or motivation to spend giving this bunny a happy home. I know this may sound harsh, but this animal needs the chance of a fulfilling life. Is space also an issue ? Do you have a garden ?

Thanks for the replies. No I have spoke to my friend tonight and she deffinetly doesnt want her back-she just said she would understand if I sent her to the blue cross:roll:
I have been thinking about getting her spayed to see if that helps but sounds like it will be very expensive to do so!
Yes we ahve a garden and have a rabbit that lives happily outside but my friend said this one is a house rabbit and wont be able to live outside.
She is supposed to be 3 years old.

She will be able to live outside eventually maybe wait until next spring or when the weather gets warmer again. Get her spayed asap if she doesnt have uterine cancer now she is at very high risk of getting it and dying. good luck with her :)

How much would it be to get her spayed? And could i get help with the cost?
Its just an awful lot of money for something i took on to help a friend out.

what a difficult situation, I don't envy you. I 'rescued' my rabbit from a friend so I know how much responsibility you must feel to her. Maybe you could consider finding a forever home for her yourself? This way you don't have to upset your friend or make yourself feel guilty by sending her to a centre but you don't have to turn your life upside down and probably make the rabbit miserable in the process.

What a palaver, good luck!

some vets will allow you to pay in installements but it varies vet to vet from around £40-100 pounds for a female spey. what location are you?maybe we could offer adice as to someone who could take her on(rabbit specific rescue) or possibly a good vet.if on benifits i think can get help with costs but i dont know how to go about doing so. i would get both buns fixed and then in warmer weather bond them together then they could have a freind each?

How much would it be to get her spayed? And could i get help with the cost?
Its just an awful lot of money for something i took on to help a friend out.

It cost me around £60-£80 to get my female rabbit spayed. It's not really that much when you look at the cost of keeping a pet long term.

I spent £130 on a decent hutch, £80 for a foldable run on the grass, around £100 on different tunnels and toys.
The vaccinations for myxymatosis and VHD cost around £40-80 a year and when my bunny got ill with an abscess I spent at least £600 over 6 months having him treated for it.

Taking on a pet is a huge financial responsibility so if you are not able or willing to spend £60 on spaying the rabbit it would really be better to rehome her.
There is no reason why an indoor rabbit can't move outdoors though if you did it now before it gets too cold as she needs time to get her winter coat.

Would your friend be prepared to contribute towards the cost of spaying? You are after all taking on years of expense as having buns in the family is not cheap!

I agree with Estelle....

Good on you for taking the bunny in the first place, but to be honest if you are begrudging the fact you will need to spend money on her at this point I would rehome her, or contact a rescue. I have never thought twice about neutering any rabbits that have come my way, even if they have only been her short term before going on to their forever homes. It is hard because it's a lot of money, but I don't resent the rabbit for it. After all, it's not the bunnies fault that she has been shipped around. I think you are very, very kind for trying to help her, but like others have said, if your heart isn't in it she would be better off going to someone else. :)

I have to take my rattie back to the vets tomorrow so i shall ask them how much it is to get her spayed. I am in Oxfordshire, near Chipping Norton and I use Chipping Norton vets, anyone ever used them before for rabbits?

I hardly have any money left for myself after buying bunny things and I can't get help with the vets bills as im living at home and not on housing benefits. I think the only way you can get help is if you are on benefits but youd need to talk to the PDSA about that. :)

Back