• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flaky skin! any advise!

clairescanvas

Young Bun
The past couple of days my house bun Norris has started getting a patch of white flaky skin and his hair is coming out more in this area.

It is just wear his ears falls on his back if he lays down so could be his ears rubbing on his fur but he has never had this before.

It does not seem sore or to be bothering him at all but is making him have dandraft. Any advise how to stop this? has anyone elces rabbit had this?

It could just be his winter moult or it could well be mites so I would pop him to the vet for a check up :)

mites was the first thing i suspected but he is not itching also Gloria my other bun is in perfect condition surely she would be effected aswell?

i will give the vets a call but was hoping i could escape the vet bills :shock:

Some buns get mites and show the symptoms sooner during times of stress/poor health/just a sensitive bun and others are hardier to them which might be why only one bun has symptoms so far.
It could just be his moult but best to pop him in to be sure and mites are easily and usually solved cheaply! :D

Bunnie gets flacky skin on her head behind ears and towards the neck. sometimes she gets a little bald there too if you part her hair. She not got mites we had it checked out with vet plus she been like it for years.

In a vet book of mine by Frances Harcourt-Brown it says some breeds of rabbit with fluffy coats, notably dwarf lops and mini-lops, develop hairless patches of skin during moulting. The bald skin is not inflammed regrowth of hair is rapid. Bunnies a mini lop!

You should maybe think about taking to vet though just in case. we checked with vet and then i saw in the book and we have put it down to this as we know she does not have mites or any other problem.:D

im not sure what breed of bun Norris is, he was dumped at a vets a 3 days old with his 13 siblings (he was one of 3 that survived :( )

I know he is not a lop due to his ears but he does have a very full coat and his brothers and sisters were all mixed colours so who knows what he has in him.

im sure the vets will clear things up, should really plan with them a date to get Gloris spayed :?

im not sure what breed of bun Norris is, he was dumped at a vets a 3 days old with his 13 siblings (he was one of 3 that survived :( )

I know he is not a lop due to his ears but he does have a very full coat and his brothers and sisters were all mixed colours so who knows what he has in him.

im sure the vets will clear things up, should really plan with them a date to get Gloris spayed :?

When take buns in for pre-spay consult or any vaccinations just get them to check him:) The sooner the better though just incase it something untoward and can catch it early!

2 of my buns have had that - stress mites (cheyella or sommat:roll:). They were treated with ivometic & it cleared up within a week

hey all thanks for all your advise, i took Norris to the vets today and you were right it was mites!

i took Gloria with us aswell to make sure she did'nt need any medication but she has no symptons so thats good!

They can catch mites from there hey which is not good! got to go back there once a week for 3 weeks to get him treated. It does not seem to be bothering Norris so thats ok, he is sulking with me now though and refusing to come out his house, he hates the vets!

Gloria on the other hand is still running around the house like a nutter even though she had her vhd injection today (thought id kill 2 birds with one stone) ive also booked in for her to be spayed which im dreading!!!

Back