• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this 'Gas'?

rebeccaemms

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

Benjamin has been a bit quiet today but I fed him a small handful of spinach earlier today and he ate it. This afternoon he's been in the run on grass but hasn't really eaten any and we've now brought him inside and he won't move around, won't eat - even with the temptation of more spinach and he is pressing his tummy into the floor in an almost half laid, half sat position. I've felt his tummy but can't say it feels much different from normal. It usually feels quite rounded and firm. I've tried a little tummy massage but he just moves away from me!

I have heard that infacol helps with gas (if that's what it is) but I used to ahve a bottle and it expired as I'd never needed to use it so we threw it away and didn't bother to replace it.

Does this sound like gas to you? He doesn't seem to be in massive discomfort - no teeth grinding etc but he's not hopping or making much effort and he'll normally have a nibble of whatevers on offer when we bring him in.

I can't get him to drink but that's nothing new as he barely ever drinks! I've got some sachets of 'protexin' which were prescribed when he was on baytril so could I give him one of those mixed with water as I know they are probiotic and may help??

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
Rebecca:D

You can get infacol from a tesco express (or similar) and they are open until 10pm.

Not sure if it is gas, someone else will be along shortly who has experienced it. Hope he is feeling better soon.

When Claude had a gassy tummy he would put it close to the ground,is your bun still pooing? If you can get some infacol give that cool boiled water and tummy rubs

I haven't noticed any poos but he has only been in the house for half an hour and has been in the grass most of the day. I can't get to a Tesco before 10pm as I don't have any transport at the moment unfortunately. I'll have to keep trying to persevere with the tummy rubs! :-(

Sounds like gas to me - poor boy:( Get him moving around as much as you can - take him into a strange room so that he can move around more - get some warm boiled water into him, give him tummy massages and get hold of some Infacol. 2mls right away followed by another 2mls an hour later. After that it is 1ml hourly.

Has he had something new in his diet today that may have caused this? Is he moulting as that can cause gas as well. Vibes to the wee man:love:

My Millies been like this today. She'd been fine all day until I let the buns out for a run on the wet grass (Not been out for a couple of day because of the rain) then she went back in the hutch and lay out with her tummy pressed to the floor,she refused her pellets, sping greens and a few fenugreeks (she adores her fenugreek). I brought her into the house and gave her some gentle tummy rubs, a dose of fibreplex and some water. Once I'd put her back into the hutch I went and picked some fresh dandelion leaves and she has eaten a few of these. I keep going back out to check on her, she looks at me and then runs to the other end of the hutch as if to say "i'm not eating anything" even though she has been caught nibbling :roll:

Hi

Thanks for the advice everyone. He has perked up a little in the last 20 mins and has eaten one spinach leaf and a couple of mouthfuls of weetabix. Still no poos but he isn't pressing his tummy down anymore. He's had a little hop around and I've syringe fed him some lukewarm water. I'm afraid I can't get hold of infacol immediately tonight as I'm on my own with no transport and being 7 months pregnant means I can't just get out on the pushbike anymore like I normally would but I'll be getting hold of some infacol first thing tomorrow when I get my lift into work.

He isn't moulting at the moment but his bonded partner is so perhaps he's been grooming her a little too much.

Maybe my problem is the same as yours shazbat11 that he has had a little wet grass today and like you I haven't put the bunnies out since Thursday because of the rain!

I don't know whether to force feed some more lukewarm water or try and leave him to it for a while.

Rebecca xx

Hi Everyone

I did force feed Benjamin a little more hot water last night and about half an hour later he ate a couple of rabbit pellets before I took the buns back to the shed. This morning when I went out to see them he was full of beans and climbing up the bars to see what I had brought. He wolfed down celery, spring greens, a little spinach and a small handful of dandelions and then moved onto a few pellets!!! He won't be tempted by hay (he hates it!!!) but I've left it in there in the hope that he may eat some. Otherwise he seems to have got over the discomfort and is back to normal - yessss!!! Thanks for the advice anyway - I've now stocked up on infacol for future!!!

Rebecca xx

Back