• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need some urgent advice regarding Denzi, our Dwarf lop. U/D He's gone

leong

Warren Scout
Hi all,
To cut a long story short approximatley 2 weeks ago our Dwarf lop rabbit Denzi had a dental to remove both sets of incisors. According to the vet the upper teeth fragmented during the op so we were told that they may grow back at anytime and he would need to go back in for another op. For the last 2 weeks he has been absolutley fine, he has been eating and drinking normally and appeared to have made a full recovery from the op (a speedy one at that, he was eating normally within 12hrs.
Cue Thursday night last week, i had noticed that his head was slightly tilted on one side however he was still eating and drinking, knowing about EC and the early onset symptoms I took him to the vet first thing Friday morning and he was prescribed 0.6mm Baytril (once daily) and Panacur (1.5 grads per day), he was given a shot of Baytril and Metacam that day.
Saturday morning comes and we are still not seeing an improvement, what we notice now is a swollen lump in his left eye and signs of conjunctivitus in the little man so I call an emergency visit with the vet and they didn't seem sure as to the cause, they did however give another injection of Baytril as we hadn't issued it to Denzi prior to the Vet visit.
The vet prescribed Viscotears gel and Virbac anti-bio's to help clear up the eye issue, twice a day morning and evening for the Viscotears, 3 times a day for the Virbac.
We have been constantly watching him this weekend and the eye drops & viscotears has certainly seemed to clear up the eye issue however his general demeanor hasn't improved. He is also not eating as much as normal and generally just spends his time hunched up with the side of his head tilted to the side of the previously infected eye.
We have been feeding him an assortment of fruit, veg & herbs (pineapple, apple, carrot, kale, sage etc), all mashed up in the blender and also tried some fruit baby food, which he didn't touch (his other half Dee did though!)
I appreciate that if it *is* EC, recovery is slow however can someone tell me how long I should expect to see some kind of improvement? Also i'm thinking about requesting a facial xray to check for any abscesses/tumors etc.
So here we are at Sunday, 0 improvement (except for the swollen bottom lid of the eye clearing up). I have a horrible feeling about tonight, and that i'm going to wake up tomorrow morning to find him dead so really i'm just asking whether we are doing all we can do, or whether there is something else that the vet should be doing. (the vet is rabbit savvy by the way).
Thanks for any help in advance.

Just to add, poos are soft and we've not seen him wee or drink, and he is drooling excessivley from the mouth and has been doing since Saturday morning.:cry:

Last edited:
My rabbit, Jess, went off her food and was drooling after having her incisors removed, it turned out she had a large abscess under her tongue. We took her in and they cleaned out the abscess, she was then on a penicillin based antibiotic for 7 weeks. She recovered and has been well for a good few months. Last month she went off her food again and started to drool, she went back on the antibiotics for 3 weeks and she seems fine again.

I suspect, this may be the biggest risk of incisor removal, and it might be interesting to hear if anybody has experienced the same problem.

For your bunny an x-ray might show up the problem or anthor GA so the vet can explore his mouth properly to rule out any risk of it being an abscess.
Hope he is OK, but I think I would be pushing the vets to give a better diagnosis.

Hi halfpenny, many thanks for your reply, I'll be taking him back to the vets tomorrow morning first thing assuming he survives the night tonight :( The checks they have done in his mouth have been minimal to be honest (a quick examination of his incisors removal areas) even though i pushed for a more thorough examination, so i'd probably be inclined to retract the "rabbit savvy" vet comment earlier.
Just to add to my first post, his balance is slightly off too although he's not circling like in a classic EC case, rather losing his step as he hops around (when we try and get him in the cage for his eye drops)
I'll let you all know how things progress.

Update: Denzi is staying over tonight at the vets on a drip + syringe feeding, the vet said he has deteriorated significantly since Saturdays visit. I specifically asked for a GA tomorrow morning for a full mouth check which they are happy to do as long as his condition doesn't deteriorate any further tonight.
He's with us in our thoughts tonight, i really hope he pulls through this one as his sister is already missing him.
I'm not looking forward to the bill for this one but when it comes to either of our little ones there is no expense spared...
Halfpenny, i want to thank you again for your reply, it made the decision tonight to get him back to the vets ASAP, i really didn't want to wake up tomorrow to find him dead in the cage, fingers crossed he's in the best place tonight to get fixed up. Will give an update tomorrow morning, wishing Denzi the best of luck for tonight.

Update: Denzi survived last night at the vets (his condition had improved after a good dose of recovery food via syringe) and went under GA earlier today. I've just spoken to the vet and they couldn't see any sign of abcess although they did re-bur his molars. He is taking a long time to come round from the GA this time for some reason so they are going to keep him tonight as well.

I've only just now seen this post and my thoughts are with you. Sending massive vibes for the wee soul. It does sound like EC...Nia was riddled with it but never did the circling thing..she just semed to lose her back legs now and then mid hop, nor did she have head tilt. Anyway..heaps of vibes winging their way in your direction:)

Thanks Capel :) I'm seriously wondering now whether requesting the GA for the mouth check was a bad idea. I guess tonight's the night we find out whether he pulls through or not.
Thanks for the Vibes

Oh God, Leong, really sorry if you feel I advised you wrongly.:(
I was just that we've had a few rabbits through the vet who ended up getting abcesses and our Jess got one after her incisors were removed. Really hope he pulls through and sorry again.

sorry only just seen this. Sending loads of vibes for Denzi. I so hope he recovers fully from the GA and you can suss out what's causing the problem. Poor boy :( x x x

Sad news, Denzi died tonight, he never came round fully from the GA :cry: We have just brought him back from the Vets to give his sister some time with him.
Halfpenny, you didn't advise wrongly, i wanted the GA to make sure that his teeth were not the cause of the problem, and the extra check for an abcess and i really had a feeling he would have died anyway (in pain) if he'd not had it.
Sorry, can't write anymore at the moment as in tears.

RIP Denzi 19th Dec 2005 - 8th Sept 2008

Denzi.jpg

this is so sad, so sorry to hear this.

To keep his sister company so she won't be lonely, perhaps you may consider a rehome bun in your area from any of the rescue centers

this link shows a large no. of rehome rabbits center in all district

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or many members here are running rescue rabbit centers, you can contact them

Back