• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm no monster

Buns"r"us

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave:
Ok,ive had a few pm's over the last week asking me if i breed rabbit's which i have indeed done recently,and advising me against posting pic's of our baby buns as this may provoke a bad reaction amongst a lot of people on RU.
I have been told that many of you guy's will ignore my threads and posts if you think im a breeder.
I know so many people are against breeding and i can understand totally,i was directed to this site by a friend who thought i needed to be educated a little on why i shouldnt breed my bunnies.
I only intended to do it the once,but she thinks that the once may lead to twice and so on...

I totally adore my bun's and would never do anything to hurt them,and i would also like to be able to share photo's of them,like you all do,but i now feel unable to as so many of you may be offended,
anyway,just to let you all know that i'm not a bad person and i also love rabbit's and would like to share my bunny experiences with you all,and be able to turn to you all when i need some good advice.
:):):):)

Hiya, i think that aslong as your doing it for the right reasons i.e to improve breeds etc and you are being responsible having homes waiting for them, and you give the buns a rest, no more than 2 litters id say, then i feel its ok. However its when people are constantly breeding and arent doing it properly that it causes upset and quite rightly. But you will find a lot of info here and they are all really friendly :D
Jade x

Hiya,
I for one will be happy to see your buns and/or read your posts.

Breeding is an emotive issue here as a lot of members run rabbit rescues and deal with the sad consequences of rabbit overpopulation on a daily basis.

However it is ultimately up to you to make up your own mind on this issue - feel free to read around to see the different viewpoints on it ; ) - and I hope you enjoy posting here and learn lots about rabbits.

firstly hello :wave:i think the problem people have on here is that many people do not keep there buns in good condition when they breed ie bad accomodation etc and do not realise the risks breeding can hold i hope that the rabbit you have bred is now neutered as females over age 3 have an 85% chance of getting uterine cancer and dying. im not having a go as i love baby buns as much as the next person but it is sad when people breed bunnys whos genetics are not known as this can lead to health problems 3years down the line which re not shown to begin with. also with there being over 3000 rabbits in rescues a lot of people feel even if you do find good homes and neuter the buns before they go to new homes that these buns are taking up places of rescue rabbits who have had such a sorry start to life already.
personaly i love to see everyones bunny pictures and think everyone is welcome on here and can learn a lot about rabbit care i didnt know about rabbit worming before i joined here and i have bigger accomodation too now. i think there is always lots to learn when buns are concerned and we all want the best for them!! :):):) so helloo and welcome.

Hello :wave:

I think its really great that you are taking advice on board and listening to what people are saying, a lot of people on here have had years of experience with bunnies which is soo helpful when you are like me wanting to learn more about bunnies :)

A lot of people on here have seen the negative effects of breeding which is why it can cause upset. But as far as sharing bunny related experiences and coming on here for info and advice about bunnies you have come to the right place :)

xxx

Ahhh i hope you don't feel that way.
This forum has got a bit sensitive recently due to a few situations with irresponsible breeding, but nontheless *we hope* they're learning.
I welcome you to RU and your bunnies.
I can understand the temptation of breeding your bunny once for the cutie pies! Just make sure they go to good homes. There are so many rabbits in rescues being put to sleep as no one wants them.
Anyway, welcome to RU and i hope (like me), you'll learn tons of new stuff here :wave:

Noone is born with an innate knowledge of bunny rearing, and everyone has free will. The great thing about this site is that so many people care so much and are so willing to help you, this can also backfire as people care so much that they can become distressed when they hear of situations of irresponsible breeding, and quite rightly so. I think teh important thing here, is to be open minded - there were many things I was doing wrong when I first joined the forum, and despite changes being difficult for me to implement (in terms of housing, food etc due to money) I have made them because I believe that doing what people have advised me will mean that I am caring for my rabbit in the best possible way.

I'm in rescue so breeding does provoke a reaction from people like myself who rescue rabbits from bad situations and also where people have bred and things get out of control. However, as you have stated you are here to learn and are willing to listen to peoples advice, I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The people I have a problem with are those who breed and come here to rub our noses in it :(

But it's great to know we all get slagged off via PM:lol::lol::lol:

There's a lot of Rescues on here that have to clean up the messes made by irresponsible breeding so it is quite an emotive subject.

Also if you truly love your own buns, then you can love the rabbit species as a whole by not adding to overcrowding in Rescues. :D

But it's great to know we all get slagged off via PM:lol::lol::lol:

There's a lot of Rescues on here that have to clean up the messes made by irresponsible breeding so it is quite an emotive subject.

Also if you truly love your own buns, then you can love the rabbit species as a whole by not adding to overcrowding in Rescues. :D

Yes - I didn't know that happened and am now looking at everyone with suspicion :roll:

Who didn't know that happened???? :lol: I'm under no illusions about some people on here, my eyes are wide open to how 2 faced certain people are.

I'm really sorry,i didnt mean to start you all thinking that you were being slagged off :oops:
There wasnt any nastiness intended i dont think,just a couple of people giving me some advice really.
I only joined this forum last week and already feel like i shouldnt have,i am a person that will take good advice on board and that's the reason i joined.I am so sorry if i have upset anyone,that was never my intension :cry:

Lucy

Lucy..original poster one...I'm sure you haven't upset anyone..I am anti breeding but if you are willing to listen to advice and take at least some of it on board..that's fine by me and will be to most members on here :D

and don't worry about the potential arguments on here..due to it's popularity this forum has fall outs every now and then..quite normal with large amounts of people with differing ideas..some do like to cause trouble and upset people and some just stick their nose in where it's not needed..but you'll soon learn to use your ignore button for those!:lol:

Do you know how to post pics? If so can we see some?:D

hmmm...

well im going to say what i think. Lucy, you are MORE than welcome on this forum, bu tyou have to understand how difficult it is for people who rescue to see rabbits being bred, bcus even if they go to best homes they ever could, that home could have ben for a rescue rabbit.

I bred my rabbits once before joinging this forum, now luckily they did all go to good homes and all have been neutured, so the line stopped there. But if any of the new owners had decided to breed, that line could have run on and on for generations, and that where they could end up in rescues.

I always admit what i did, mainly because i refuse to be a liar, and i am truthful. However, as much joy as those little babies brought to watch, nothign is more joyful than me having a neutured group of rabbits live together in harmony.

It is the best thing i ever could have done. And i know everyone is different, and whether you breed or not you will still be welcome here, its just, you will have to accept it will be difficult for people to see.

I would personally, do what i did before i made the mistake, have a neutured,pair or a group, because a single life for a bunny is much more dismal than that of pairs or groups. they are much happier, and im sur eyou want them to be happy.

But i will add, if you are a breeder who cares about their pets and does everything the best they can and every bun has a happy life, then i would like to see photos if you doc hoose to breed. xxxx

Last edited:
Yes, that ignore button is handy isn't it :lol::lol::lol:

If you have upset anyone then they are being over sensitive as you come across as a nice caring rabbit owner who is willing to take advice. Everyone should be welcome on here regardless of whether you breed, rescue or just keep rabbits as pets :D

Thank you all very much.My buck is booked in to be neutered on the 15th sept,and yes i want them all to live together as i have big garden and a huge shed setup for them and know they will be much happier as 1 big bunny family :D
I plan on keeping some of the babies myself and getting them all spayed or neutered before they go to their new homes which are with family and friends.
My friend Lexi has taught me a lot as all of her bunnies are rescued and 100% doted on,she has taken on 2 pregnant bun's herself so knows the importance of getting them all neutered.
I think im nearly there with posting photo's so will do so soon :D

Thank you all very much.My buck is booked in to be neutered on the 15th sept,and yes i want them all to live together as i have big garden and a huge shed setup for them and know they will be much happier as 1 big bunny family :D
I plan on keeping some of the babies myself and getting them all spayed or neutered before they go to their new homes which are with family and friends.
My friend Lexi has taught me a lot as all of her bunnies are rescued and 100% doted on,she has taken on 2 pregnant bun's herself so knows the importance of getting them all neutered.
I think im nearly there with posting photo's so will do so soon :D

Then i look forward to seeing some photos.
Honestly a group is AMAZING i love it! Im getting some photos of them later so keep an eye out in photos section! :wave:

Always lovely to welcome a new Lucy to the forum. I too belong to a rescue so we do tend to see the worst end of the breeders spectrum which is why it can cause such bad feeling. However I have nothing against good breeders who treat their animals well, know their craft and keep breeding to a level so that their animals do not suffer ill health and that they can also find loving homes (which have been home checked yourself) for all the buns that you breed.

Also remember that unspayed does are likely to get uterine cancer so they should really be spayed at about 2-3 years of age.

Back