• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

excess sloppy poos

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
Hi all,
Just wanted some advice pls, went to clean out my mixed pairs run yesterday and as always lots and lots of poos everywhere they are both neutered over two years now and have at least two llarge litter trays in their run as well as an underbed storage box in their shed which they do use alot but in the run they use the litter boxes a bit but more than not seem to poo for britain everywhere else and alot of the time it seems their are soft poos trampled into the concrete tiles that i am always scraping up and cleaning up. Today again after a major clean up yesterday their was alot of them again and i have not changed their diet at all.

They get about an eggcupfull of pellets each in morning unlimited hay all day and night and a fairly largeish bowl of mixed veg at night and have been since they were about three months old = anyone any ideas why they are pooing everywhere and are litter trained as well and also they do mainly golden round large poos as well but also lots of soft ones which make a real mess.

Any advice would be appreciated.
gill:wave:

Try cutting down on the veg and see if that makes any difference. What sort of pellets do they have?

hiya capel

was thinking of that but just strange as havnt changed the amount or their pellets they are on excell and have been for over two years and never had mucky bottoms or anything!!
thanks for advice though appreciated
:wave:

SNAP! I am having exactly the same problem...I too have been puzzled because I haven't changed their diet either! Mine too have a bowl of pellets in the morning and some veg in the afternoon.....and have recently noticed some squashed in soft (sometimes long and a bit fat) droppings. I could've wrote your post myself in fact!!! So I would also be gratetful if anyone has advice!

Some buns have a problem with excel pellets. I'd suggest cutting out the pellets completely for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference, Just ensure there's unlimited hay, which I'm sure you do already:D, and put in a few veges.

Hiya nikkiwall, how weird is that its strange when it happens out of the blue isnt it. thanks for replying though appreciated and coincidence eh!!

hiya capel as i said earlier i havnt changed their pellets at all and they have been on excell for nearly three years with no prob can excell just suddenly do that i mean affect them after nearly three years seems strange. but i appreciate your advice and will take it in Would i be best to swap to the excell lite have always wondered that my other buns are nearly two years old and have one over a year and one nearly five months if i was to swap onto excel lite could they all go on that and would i have to do it slowly as if a completely new food again? Will try cutting out pellets and see if makes a diff, can giving too many veggies do this to again i have given them the same amount for nearly two years too all be it a plateful and had built it up very slowly but again they seemed fine.

thanks again for your advice much appreciated.
gill:D

Hi Gill:wave: Bunsters are a total mystery at times:lol:. I'm pretty sure that as all of them are affected it points to a dietary thing. I guess it's just a case of trying the elimination techniques that are used when trying to work out allergies in humans. Too much veg can also cause it. Do they have access to grass during the day? If so then there's really very little need to give them added veg. My three, who are out on grass during daylight hours get only a few bits and pieces(e.g 2 spring green leaves, or similar, between them when they come back into the hutch at night), not because I think they need it, but because it makes me feel better:roll::lol::lol:

Hiya capel no my lot are not out on grass during day they are on concrete but get shots on a large run on grass weather permitting which recently hasnt been very much but they do get unlimited hay so they get veg too but i will cut that down a bit i think although they have always had the same but maybe for some reason its too much at mo they certainly have been eating alot more hay than normal maybe thats it. Do you think i should change to excell lite instead of junior would that be better for them with one being only five months and do i need to change it gradually as if diff food altogether.
thanks again for reply.

Hi Jill if one of ya bunnys is only 5months i guess it could be the pellets and veg combined mine a not 5 month yet and i only started givin them tiny amounts of veg and some of the veg i tried gave them sticky bums, so if ya bunnys only 5 months old hun dont give him/her a heap of veg and pellets, i heard quite a few members on RU saying Excell gave their bunnys sticky bums, but Good Luck hun i hope it clears up soon for you :)

Jill if you change their pellets hun you have to do it gradually over about 7-14 days i think hun it took me 2 weeks to change mine over :)

Hiya wendle,

My wee bun whos five months only started veg a couple of weeks ago and i have only given her two or three bits at mo so hardly any and pellets she jonly gets an egg cupful of excel in the morning and at night and unlimited hay all day that she woolfs down so will maybe stop the egg cup at night and see if that helps but mainly she is doing nice golden poos its just in the morning their has been a few soft ones. My main worry was my two mixed pair that are nearly three they have been on the same diet since i had them at a few months old and have never varied it. They only get an egg cup of pellets each in morning and certainly a largish bowl of mixed veg at night and again unlimited hay which they eat tons of all the time so nothing has changed in diet for them and yet the last few days they have been leaving very soft poos but amongs golden ones too but no mucky bums just squashed poos in their run not in their shed normal poos their thats the strange thing?
thanks for replying with your advice though its appreciated.

anyone with any other advice is very welcome too
thanks

One other thing as i asked would it be a good idea to change them onto excell lite instead of junior and if i should would i still follow same procedure about slowly over period of ten days or so even though same brand?
thanks gill:D

Back