• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit seems unwell after vhd vac

Nicola C

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
I must apologise for only coming on here when I need something. Soooooooooo busy with my little boy, who is 1 now, yikes!
Anyway, yesterday my 2 buns were vaccinated for vhd and now one of them seems a bit unwell. She keeps lying down, is not interested in food and is shaking slightly. I am really worried. I'm wondering if she is having a reaction to the jab, but not sure. Have tried to tempt her to eat, but no joy. :(
Does anyone have any advice?
Many thanks
Nicola x

Oh heck Nicloa. It does seem a bit of a coincidence. If I were you I'd ring the vet and ask for advice. Fingers crossed.

I've done a FatFluffs search and this is all I've found, so it may be a coincidence...still if she's not eating and is behaving out of character then it would sugested a vet visit is on the cards

I agree, vaccinations can bring on GI Stasis, so it's probably best to go to the vets and get the problem sorted out quickly.

Yeah, I think you're right capel :( Poor bun, she hates the vet so much. The good thing though is that she is def pooping, I've seen her doing quite a few of those. Hmmm....I know my little boy wasn't right after his jabs, so maybe is an after effect of that, but you're right it could be coincidence. I have got her inside so keeping a close eye on her. Poor bun.
Thanks for your reply :)
Nicola x

When Katy had hers earlier this year she was OK but by 9pm she would not eat anything except hay. She was fine the following day. She had never had a reaction before!

I think if she is shaking and not eating at all, I would contact the vet to be on the safe side.

Sorry can't offer any more advice just wanted to say lovely to hear from you (wish it wasn't cos bunny poorly though) hope you're doing ok xx

Aw, thanks Jayne. V sweet of you. I feel rotten for not being in touch with everyone, but I guess you know what children do to your life ;) I am loving being a Mum though, exhausting but great.
Lots of love to you....
Nicola x

Yeah, I think you're right capel :( Poor bun, she hates the vet so much. The good thing though is that she is def pooping, I've seen her doing quite a few of those. Hmmm....I know my little boy wasn't right after his jabs, so maybe is an after effect of that, but you're right it could be coincidence. I have got her inside so keeping a close eye on her. Poor bun.
Thanks for your reply :)
Nicola x
I forgot to add the bit I found:roll: Senior moment!!
Here it is:

The vaccine now available in the UK is called Cylap, and is made by Fort Dodge Animal Health. It can be given from 10 weeks of age, and an annual booster vaccination is essential. It is safe to use in pregnant animals. Occasionally, there may be a mild reaction at the injection site, but rabbits very rarely feel poorly afterwards. Cylap is a 'killed' vaccine and cannot possibly cause VHD VHD vaccination cannot be done at the same time as myxomatosis vaccination - we usually allow 2 weeks between the doses.

Oh, I have just seen her hopping around and eating a piece of apple. Blimey! Fingers crossed!
Nicola x

Now she is eating hay and looking a lot brighter, been on her hind legs and digging in her bed, just like she always does. Phew! Still a bit nervous though. she is inder close obs! I swear having bunnies is more stressful than having children sometimes! :lol:
Nicola x

Mega phew! Just put her dinner down and she ran straight over to it and started munching. Honestly, bunnies! ;)
Thanks everyone.
Nicola x

Hiya Nicola!!!!! :wave:
How are you? Lovely to see you on here.
Hope you and your family are all well.

Back