• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's the lowest temperature an indoor bun can handle?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Just wondering because Boris loved going outside during summer but I've stopped bringing him out now because I thought it may be too cold. He's only outside for about an hour a day.

I would have thought as long as he can snuggle into somewhere warm (like a box with some hay in it) while he's outside he'd be fine at the moment.

i think its more a case of extremes. Inside houses in winter we tend to have heating on and it tends to be very cold outside. If you plunge a bunny from one to the other it can cause them problems.

Bare in mind that the bunny won't have developed any sort of winter coat so its like you going outside in winter with a t-shirt on.

we dont let ours out when it gets too cold...we give them turf or soil to dig and planted herbs to munch..i think ours know inside is best when its cold:lol:

Mine would still go out when it was -5 degrees outside.It all depends on where they hve been all year as to how thick their coats are.

cold

Bunnies do better in the cold than in the hot. As its eay for them to warm up (run etc) than it is to cool down with a fur coat. Obv dont change temp too much from boiling to middle of winter freezing as they haven't had time to adjust.
Ours live indoors and go out if they want to we just let them decide and if its too cold they will soon be back in for a snuggle instead.

when bertie huddles up and pleads..its too cold..back inside he has the opportunity to cool down as we have lino not carpet and heating goes on when it drops way below 20C rapidly! or it stays off..cos of my dauughters temp probs or my hot sweats too.
its not easy for mine as the frenchies have to be put outside and carried back in...not easy! littlies are but 16lb of willow our doe isnt:shock: they prefer mums garden as my plants arent repotted or any growing in ground whereas her garden has everything they like..bare earth..nice trim grass..plants..bins to hide behind...wild strawberrys..rosemary..lavender..have to keep em away from chives tho:lol:

theyll tell you when its too cold...ie sit still look at you pleading..or like bertie did on a visit to his old home..he got back in the pet stroler/carrier body and tugged the bedding till he covered himself over with a blanket:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Scamp's still going out for 4-6hr a day (after 6pm). Its wet atm but not massively cold.

Muppet lives indoors but has time out in the garden all year round - I just leave the door open and leave it up to him. The actual times he's allowed out depends on a) if I'm home and b) if I can/am willing to leave the backdoor open. He always chooses to go out for at least a bit, rain or freezing :roll:

mine arent able to go out cos of the rain and soaking grass....so they will go out when its dried up and been mown as its grown so fast with rain!

willow bif n bandit run around but dear old bertiesa lazy old soul:lol:

Back