• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

im so worried

lilminxlou

Mama Doe
about the new arrival, smudgey.

i now think its a he.

however things arent right down below. there was a bit of black weird all i can presume was poo that was stcu and there is a tiny hole on one side of the organ. on the other it look like a tiny plum but the skin sticks together. i think its a he that had his plums removed but not very well. or maybe he got infected while the stitches were in :? oh btw there was a tiny bit of blood. he seems fine within himself but im still concerned

Personally I would take him to the vets to get checked out as rabbits can hide pain and go down hill very quickly.

i got him from a woman in storeton
she couldnt keep him and hes always been a rescue
i think im his 3rd owner

I would pop him to the vets or at least ring an emergency vet for advice tonight and take him first thing tomorrow.

Does the area feel hot? This can indicate an infection.

A good vet should be able to help you out.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

thanks so do i. im so anxious. i think it will probably turn out to be nothing but you can never take a risk. i always think prventative methods are better than curative methods (if thats a word lol) i feel a bit guilty as its only today i noticed it.

the thing is, ive only just got him and dont really know. with gumpy when he had gut stasis i could tell straight away. i hope this isnt normal for him as it doesnt look very comfortable

:( Dont know what to say to make you feel better, just keep an eye on bun and get them to the docs tomorrow...thats all you can do.

Plus worrying wont change unfortunately :(

Actually it sounds like nothing more than his scent glands!!!

When you see them the first time it can make you think something is wrong, and you can mistake it for dried blood etc... if you clean the area with some cotton wool and warn water the wax should come away. you can also put some vaseline on the area to help. The smell you are smelling is perfectly normal. He may just be a bun that needs them cleaned regularly. :)

Oooooook what a horrid job that is, I remember the first time I saw the vet do it I was nearly sick. Have finally managed to start doing it myself though :oops:

Actually it sounds like nothing more than his scent glands!!!

When you see them the first time it can make you think something is wrong, and you can mistake it for dried blood etc... if you clean the area with some cotton wool and warn water the wax should come away. you can also put some vaseline on the area to help. The smell you are smelling is perfectly normal. He may just be a bun that needs them cleaned regularly. :)

ooh thank you it did cross my mind that it looked like clotted blood. i tried cleaning down there with a flannel and warm water but i think i might have made it a bit more sore as it went a bit red :cry:

thank you so much thats taken a load off my mind. if it is scent glands then i dont mind cleaning them regularly.

yeah I don't like doing it... one of my buns is extremely territorial and doesn't look after them herself so I always have to clean her up! The smell is horrid and so strong! :roll:

Back