• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A New Mum - Help!

Hi all

My Bunny gave birth to 6 babies on Thursday and they are all alive today (Sunday) and fingers crossed it stays that way!. I know that you read many articles about the mum will feed when it is quiet and that most probably will be at night when everyone is sleeping, however, I took a look at the babies today and while most seem to have pop bellys, a couple don't have - so I placed "Honey" (mummy) in the section where the babies are and placed her so that the babies could get to her and have a munch! Because rabbits are so fluffy you can't see them all to ensre that they are latched on but I think they were (if that makes sense):?. At first she was trying to escape but I made her stay there for a while. I know that this probably wasn't the best situation for her as she may have felt slightly stressed but I want all the babies to have a chance of survival and help if needed. Please can you share your opinions?
The other reason that made me put her in there is because her stomach is hard and I thought that this may be a build up of milk... but again, as you don't see them clean up after they have given birth, you cannot guarantee that all the necessary bits have come away! Please can you share your opinions again...
Apart from that, their fur has started to come through and they appear to be doing well
Many thanks for all your help and advise :)

:wave: as you already know they only feed once a day when Crystal had her babies she had 5 there was 3 who had nice round bellies these were the bigger babies and the 2 smaller ones didnt have big bellies but they werent wrinkly so i knew they were being fed just probably getting pushed out the way from the bigger ones. all 5 survived!

unless their bellies are wrinkly then i wouldnt worry because it means their still being fed. placeing the doe on top of the babies will be stressful and i wouldnt force this unless you know 100% sure the babies arent getting fed.

good luck its normal to be worried

x

Back