• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma U/D We've got her!!!! Photos

SmokyJoe78

Mama Doe
Ok, bare with me....

We have a single boy bun, called Digby (was Humbug, from Angie at BARC) who we adopted to bond with Lulu - this didn't work out, and since Lulu has fought with 6 potential husbuns :shock: , we have decided to keep her as a single bunny. We have also decided to keep Digby (who is neutered) and find him a girlbun instead.

My O/H had a phonecall yesterday from a friend, who has a friend, with a 5 month old female rex, who they would like to rehome. I have seen a photo and she's lovely, but I think unspayed. We are going to see her this afternoon.

My dilemma is do we take her, in the hope that she'll bond with Digby (we have space to keep her singley short-term), but then I think we should get her spayed first. So that would mean spending the money on having her spayed and waiting until she'd recovered before knowing if they got on, or would it be ok to try them before this - I know she'd be more territorial if she's not spayed. Obviously, if they did bond we'd have her spayed later, but if it all goes wrong, we couldn't keep her as a single bun, but would have to try to rehome her ourselves.
What shall I do? The people seem happy for us to take her on a trial basis - I could try her with Digby and take it from there, but I don't want to create a problem (if I waited until she's spayed there's more chance they would bond?)....... Help!

Last edited:
One thing to think about is if they dont bond, will you be able to rehome her like you plan too? Its just by the time I realised that Buu and Beau were not going to bond I had already fallen in love with Beau and would never have been able to give him up.

If I was in your position I think I would try and pair him up with an already spayed girl, from a rescue who could help with bonding :oops: x

depends on her personality realy ... flopsy bonded with my t5humper when unspayed ...but she did get stroppy with him from time to time .

nothing wrong with trying them...it would give you an idea .... would be a shame to go through upset and cost of spaying her to then have to let her go.. :?

depends on her personality realy ... flopsy bonded with my t5humper when unspayed ...but she did get stroppy with him from time to time .

nothing wrong with trying them...it would give you an idea .... would be a shame to go through upset and cost of spaying her to then have to let her go.. :?

I know, that's the main problem! I think we'd just have to try them while she's unspayed and then see. Going to see her this afternoon, so will let you know what she's like :)

Ok, so we went to see her and the family agreed to us taking her temporarily to try her with Digby :D

She's called Fudge, and seems very laid-back, they were told she's a rex/lop, but she doesn't have a rex coat or lopped ears!? She's 6 months old:

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

She's already "decorated" the carpet :lol:

Only thing is, on the way back in the car I thought - how long does a buck have to be left after being neutered? :?
I think, (Angie can you verify :oops: ) Digby was done 4/5 weeks ago.....

Aww, she's lovely :love: You only get rex coats when you breed rex to rex so she could be a rex cross. That's quite a common colouring in lops to. So she may have a lop coat and rex ears :lol:

Aww, she's lovely :love: You only get rex coats when you breed rex to rex so she could be a rex cross. That's quite a common colouring in lops to. So she may have a lop coat and rex ears :lol:

Ahhhhh I see.....

I think I'll have to leave off trying them together, until Digby is 8 weeks since his neuter - is that right?

If you plan on having her spayed they can go together two weeks after than as soon as she's healed. Otherwise I think its 6 weeks post castration.

Tam

The books ive read and our vet says 6 weeks ... but some say 8 ... weve never had an accident at 6 but please dont sue if you do :?

The books ive read and our vet says 6 weeks ... but some say 8 ... weve never had an accident at 6 but please dont sue if you do :?

Thanks Angie - I think I'm going to leave it for another 4 weeks, just to be sure - so no suing anybody :D :lol:
My problem now is do I get the doe spayed before trying them? Since we've got her on a sort of "trial" run I don't really feel we can have her spayed, but if we do they're probably more likely to bond - argh :shock: :)

Back