• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny who,s had a stroke, urgent..../ very poorly today

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
what are the signs of a bunny having a stroke,:cry::cry: a bunny came back to me today in a bad way, he,s seen the vet and he suspects thats what has happened, advice would be appreciated :cry:

Last edited:
what did the vet suggest?

Not had a rabbit have stroke but have rats. Normaly depending how bad it is I syringe mushy food and fluids. not sure bout mushy foods with rabbits though. Sometimes they pick up and sometimes they dont :cry:

Again, thats with rats, not sure with buns. Sorry not much help. Hope bun gets better soon xx

Strokes are not uncommon in buns :( We have had quite a few :(

The first 48 hours are critical, as in humans - if they have another stroke in that time they usually pass away :(

Signs are very difficult - they can loose their balance, get head tilt, loose eyesight and co-ordination - have difficulty eating, have difficulty passing poops and peeing :(

Rest and quiet and also subdued light are all good for them - they have to be watched carefully - put them in surroundings that are soft and warm and also quiet.

Usually they have a steriod injection to help the inflammation - this also helps with any pain - fluids are very important as they can dehydrate quickly. Tempting them to eat is also crucial - but you will find that a lot of stroke buns do eat plenty anyway.

Am sending all the vibes that I can to the poorly bunny - I really hope that bun does survive and goes on to live a longer and happier life:love:

Symptoms can include :-

Sudden collapse/unconsciousness or 'stumbling about'
Horizontal nystagmus ( eyes flicking from side-to-side )
Headtilt
Loss of use of limbs
Loss of bladder control
Loss of vision

Treatment :-

IV fluids
Heatpad/Heatlamp
Steroid by IM injection
Antibiotic by subcutaneous injection to cover for latent bacterial infection
Fenbendazole ( if Bun can swallow) to cover for EC involvement
Supportive feeding (if Bun can swallow)
Metoclopromide by subcutaneous injection if GI motility effected

The above treatment needs to be given straight away and intensive supportive care is often needed for some time. A second CVA is common within 48 hours of the first one and sadly the second one is often fatal :cry:

If Bun survives the critical period then rehabilitation should include physiotherapy several times a day plus encouraging 'normal' behaviour to enable the damaged brain to 'reprogramme' as much as possible. The medication mentioned above is likely to be required for some time too.

I hope the Giant can recover.

Last edited:
I would keep your bun indoor on a nicely padded area, say a thick blanket + pillows. In that region, put some green, hays, pellet and water near him as he may not be able to reach the food.

Check the amt. of food and water. If he didn't eat/drink, gently handfeed the food in syringe. I recommend baby food or raspberry or blackberry in pulp, mix w/ seed head or hay stem (cut in small pieces).

murphy is very poorly this morning, his head is completely to one side, he,s refused all food but i am managing to syringe feed him little and often:cry::cry: he,s indoors in a big dogcrate on a bed of towels and hasnt moved all night, this bunny is so special to me im so worried we,re going to lose him,my vets are on about doing xrays this morning to make sure he hasnt dislocated his shoulder because on examination yesterday he said this was a possibility but he does strongly suspect a stroke:? and by looking at the symptoms given by other members i think thats whats happened,i feel so helpless:cry::cry::cry::cry:

murphy is very poorly this morning, his head is completely to one side, he,s refused all food but i am managing to syringe feed him little and often:cry::cry: he,s indoors in a big dogcrate on a bed of towels and hasnt moved all night, this bunny is so special to me im so worried we,re going to lose him,my vets are on about doing xrays this morning to make sure he hasnt dislocated his shoulder because on examination yesterday he said this was a possibility but he does strongly suspect a stroke:? and by looking at the symptoms given by other members i think thats whats happened,i feel so helpless:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Did the Vet administer any treatment at all :?

I do hope he can be helped :cry:

thinking of Murphy, i hope something can be done. Maybe make a list of the possible treatments mentioned here to ask your vet about?
I've printed out articles from here before about a sick bunny of mine and my vet did find them helpful.
Fingers crossed for imrpovement x x x

just a thought but could it be ec? i know that casues head tilt has he been pannacured? if nto i would do this too as a precaution i hope bun recovers xxx

Back