• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd behaviour from bunny!!

Nethie Lover

Young Bun
Hi there:wave:

I was directed to this forum as I am curious about my bunny's recent behaviour!!

Am wondering if anyone can shed light on my bunny's rather odd behaviour!!

He's a 4 month old Netherland Dwarf who hasn't been neutered yet as his 'boy bits' aren't big enough bless!!

Anyways, the past few days he has been rather frantically moving his sawdust all over his hutch. Now, when I say frantic, I mean frantic!! He gets a pile in front of him and then shoves it the full length of his paws and body!! As it's getting a bit colder I have been giving him a nice thick layer of sawdust but he seems determined to have it all piled up round the corners and is more or less down to the bottom of the hutch in the centre area. I just tucked him in for the night just now and happened to move the sawdust very discreetly as I know bunnies don't like change but he must have saw me and came like a bat out of hell from his bedroom and landed on top of my hand!!!! He is also taken to dragging his hay through from his bedroom to his living room (these are what my daughter calls the areas in his hutch btw!!) and having little piles of it everywhere. I did have a hay manger for him but as he was never using it and eating the hay in the bedroom I took it down.

He does have a run which he does get full use of but he hasn't been out today as it's a bit rainy up here.

Anyone any ideas or had any experience of this?!!

Many thanks :)

It is very very cute!!! Me and my little girl get many laughs from him doing it but I just wanted to make sure he wasn't doing it if he was in distress or bored or something...

I tell you, I got the fright of my life when he landed on my hand this evening!!!

I'm just worried that he has not really that much sawdust in areas (and by sawdust I mean wood shavings) of the hutch..it is just a case of tough luck then since he keeps moving it? I make sure he has loads of hay in his bedroom so he can be cosy at night :)

(can you tell I am smitten by him!!...I had a female Nethie when I was younger and although technically this one was for my 6 year old, shhhh - I actually think of him as mine!!!:oops:)

Thanks for the quick reply x

No problems :wave: Although not a great idea for when it's wet if you want to give him something specific to do it with try an old towel or blanket; all of my three love digging (and chewing) towels, piles of clothes, jackets...:lol:

Is that safe for them? What about the fibres if they swallow them?

(god more questions...sorry!!!)

but that sounds like a good idea for him :)

I've had no problems from cotton or fleece being chewed; they don't sit & eat it, the biggest hole I've seen was big enough for my pinkie to go in, but nothing else.

I've had no problems from cotton or fleece being chewed; they don't sit & eat it, the biggest hole I've seen was big enough for my pinkie to go in, but nothing else.

Great...I'll fling one of my best Egyptian towels in there for him and see how he gets on with that!!!!!:lol::lol:

Thank you ever so much...my mind has been put at rest xx

am so glad I was told about this forum as I do get a bit gushy about my bunny sometimes and I can see my friends eyes glaze over!!!!:oops:

Back