• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quiet Bunny

lil860

Warren Scout
I just went to feed Louie my bunny and he is laying stretched out in his cage and is not really his normal self. He usually comes to see me but he didnt, i picked him up and put him outside for a run but he just layed down on the grass. He was eating fine and acting normally last night so what could be wrong with him. His eyes and bum are both clear ive also checked his mouth which is ok. Please help :(:cry::cry:

It sounds like he might be a little poorly.
When was the last time you saw him eat? Has he been drinking normally? Is he pooing? Is his tummy bloated?
First thing I would do would be to syringe some cooled boiled water into him, give him some tummy rubs and chase him around the run a little. He may have wind, and this will help to disperse it.
Also, you can offer dandelion leaves, which are very tempting for poorly buns and can help their tummies.
If he hasn't eaten for a while, things can get very serious very quickly, and it would be best to get him medical attention straight away.

HI, agree with HS. If he is not better within the next half hour or so take him to the vet to be on the safe side. He needs to be kept warm.

Ok will try the tummy rubs and will find him some dandelions in my garden. I will let him run round the garden for a bit even if i have to chase him. He has been pooing and weeing normally. I will give him a small piece of cabbage to see if he will eat that. :cry:

UPDATE

Let Louie out of his cage while i cleaned it and he seemed a bit perkier. Let him out in the garden for a hop and he hopped the full length of my grass into the shed and then back into his cage and then he did a wee (normal colour) in his litter tray. He still hasnt eaten anything but he is pushing my hand away when i stoke his nose he let me do it earlier. I have felt his tummy dosnt feel bloated but i gave him a few tummy rubs anyway.Hopefully he just has a bit of wind.

Now went to check on him he has eaten all of the peice of cabbage leaf and is now tucking into his food. Phew he had me worried sick naughty boy. Glad he is better now but i will keep a close eye on him.

Yes, Salt did this to me on Thursday morning. He ate his breakfast with gusto, I went out about 10.30 to give them some grass and he wasn't interested. Did the tummy rubs and the water, thought about when I could get him to the vets, but he was absolutely fine half an our later :roll:
Glad your bun is feeling better.

Hi.:wave: It might be an idea to go easy on the cabbage for a while. If he has had a bit of tummy pain it could well be the cabbage that caused it. Cabbage is best fed in very small quantities (if at all) as it can cause gas.

Ok it was only a small piece of cabbage as big as the palm of my hand. He is absolutely fine now and has been eating and pooing normally. I will keep an eye on him though.

Back