• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT Orphans U/D #13 Goodnight Dylan

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I had a phone call this morning, this mans rabbit had been killed by a fox, he went to clean her cage out today, and he found kits.

They are now here, there are 6, they look around 6 days old. I know there is a virtually nil chance of them surviving, i have called around everywhere for Cimicat but can't get hold of any, everywhere just has "Lactol" instead. Now i didn't think you could use this, but can you? Otherwise ill resort to goats milk, but the last time i attempted to handrear the last kit alive in the litter on goats milk, it passed away

Last edited:
a couple of days old at the most (was a few years ago.) I don't know which is the better to be used but even as en emergency if you can get hold of that it would be good for them.

if you can get hold of some avipro probiotic and mix a tiny amount with the milk that may help too x

Caroline at ERR has had to hand rear some recent bunnies so call her for some advice.

Biolapis is the same is Avipro and is a probiotic. Ill look out some links for you.

Thanks Raine, could you PM me carolines home number?

Also... how do i measure the lactol powder (just nipped to P@H :evil:)

Hi :wave:. Lactol is fine. I handreared a rabbit from 2 days old on it and she survived :D. When I handreared 4 wild rabbits last year from 5 days old, I used a blob of Fibreflex in the milk 3 times a day to prevent gut problems. I used a 1ml syringe with a teat from the Mikki mothering kit on the end to feed them with and sterilised all the equipment in Milton Sterilising fluid between feeds :D. I fed them about 4-5 times a day as they only took a couple of mls at a time. They all survived and I decided to keep them. They
have all turned in to lovely rabbits :D.
Good luck
Emily

Hi :wave:. Lactol is fine. I handreared a rabbit from 2 days old on it and she survived :D. When I handreared 4 wild rabbits last year from 5 days old, I used a blob of Fibreflex in the milk 3 times a day to prevent gut problems. I used a 1ml syringe with a teat from the Mikki mothering kit on the end to feed them with and sterilised all the equipment in Milton Sterilising fluid between feeds :D. I fed them about 4-5 times a day as they only took a couple of mls at a time. They all survived and I decided to keep them. They
have all turned in to lovely rabbits :D.
Good luck
Emily

Aw great!
I bought a "lactol feeding kit" last year from Ebay, but they dont seem to be getting any milk out of the teat :?

has the teat got a big enough hole in?I had that problem and In the end i snipped the end off with some scissors but dont make the hole to big and be careful when feeding as sometimes the milk goes into the lungs then you have to revive the kits.

Last edited:
Good luck with the babies!

I picked up 4 orphans today, but they are newborns so I'm not too optimistic, but I will try. :?

I bought a "lactol feeding kit" last year from Ebay, but they dont seem to be getting any milk out of the teat :?

I personally don't like these, they seem too big for bunnies and hard to control how much milk comes out. Be very careful if you make the hole bigger, if they take any fluid into their lungs, then it is usually fatal. :( Try and get hold of the Mikki teats that DaisyMay mentioned. I have a couple spare that I could send you if you want? :)

Back