• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strong Odur Urine

Hopper

Mama Doe
Is it normal? Over the last week Olivers wee has been real strong smelling. I clean litter tray every night but by 6am it reeks bad! The urine smells like real bad BO from a man :shock: My front room stinks dreadful from it.

the other twos dont smell strong?

awwww... your little boy is becoming a man :love::lol:
bucks do tend to stink until they're neutered... have his testicles turned up yet? :)

i normaly find once ive cleaned them out, they like to do a really strong wee to cover up the nice clean smell:evil:

Ohh he is in manhood!! Aww.

Dont recall scaraggles stinking when he reached it lol.

His tezzies are only just visible to eye, vets want them to drop more before op! Simba ares a little bigger so maybe week after next they can be done together :D

I didnt realise them reaching man hood meant the urine smell was this strong :shock:

So, would it be like rats? the more you clean the more they scent mark aswell?

What can I use as litter base also> at moment I line with newspaper and then hay on top. Is litter changing everyday right?

most likley, you got the spraying fun tooo:D i got doc done a few weeks back hes being a nightmare to litter train at the mo and is still spraying to his hearts content when hes out he loves me that much :roll:

if i have other buns in biggles chins everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyything but hes doesnt smell so much now, he only wiffies a little once ive put him back in a clean hutch

just wondering since ive got carrie, am i right to belive girls smell differant to boys as she seems to

sorry hijacking thread alittle :oops:

No he hasnt sprayed from what ive seen yet, got that to look forward to lol. Do you have to re litter train then after nueter?

from what i can gather they arint really truely littler trained until after a neuter anyway, all the buns ive had havent been toooo bad with the weeing just the poo are all over the place, apart from doc at the mo all my other buns have pretty much transformed very quickly, i have mainly males and as they like to spread there seed far and wide they will mark anything for a potential mate who happens to go by, i am assuming its pretty much inbred to them, and still do it even if its just one bun on his own, well biggles did it with me for 5 years till i got him done,

What can I use as litter base also> at moment I line with newspaper and then hay on top. Is litter changing everyday right?

I use Megazorb in both my buns litter trays and I know lots of other people on this forum do too. With some hay or straw on the top I clean mine out every morning. You can buy big sacks of Megazorb at horse shops as it is meant to be horses bedding, mine costs £6.10 and lasts for ages. There is no smell to it and its very absorbent. I think it's great for rabbits litter trays. I did a search on on the internet when I first decided to get some and read all about it first and also read posts on this forum about it.

Hope this helps! :wave:

I use Megazorb in both my buns litter trays and I know lots of other people on this forum do too. With some hay or straw on the top I clean mine out every morning. You can buy big sacks of Megazorb at horse shops as it is meant to be horses bedding, mine costs £6.10 and lasts for ages. There is no smell to it and its very absorbent. I think it's great for rabbits litter trays. I did a search on on the internet when I first decided to get some and read all about it first and also read posts on this forum about it.

Hope this helps! :wave:

Thanks. I have some megazorb upstairs actualy, about 1/3 left as topped using it on my mice and rats as it caused them rspitory (well mice) I never thought of using that.

Oliver is fully litter trained as is dreama, just simba who has cage full of poops a day lol.

unneutered buck..mmmm lovely!:lol: but that weird b.o smell..is it more like onions? thats when they secrete their scent marking gland stuff on their poos and along with their wee..its overpowering!
but if bunny isnt neutered or spayed its much worse..almost a poo like smell id say...well with a hormonal frenchie doe it did! bandit stunk too when he got her and had horrific runs which was caused by his man bits being huge not just outside but inside too:shock: once done he has always been able to eat his cecals and clean himself...his poos are pretty big for a lionhead.....

ive found bio catolet helps as a litter as its paper and super absorbent and i can get it from tescos when i shop online:) topped with a little russell rabbit bedding..very very fine short straw.........both available from hay experts;)

i dont like megazorb with bunnies...neither does my asthma! i think the stuff stinks orrible and sticks to the bunnies and everything else!

testicles schemtiscles...they can look very tiny outside and be huge inside their tums...dont let him fool you:lol:

Yeh it like a strong onion smell! lol.

So his tezzie could be fully developed, being bigger on inside? Why are they on the inside anyway?

Wont be long now until the boys are nuetered. Cant wait and once recovered can start bonding. Hopefuly they will bond, figers crossed anyway.

Yeh megazorb does drive me mad, it sticks to everything and a nuiscance to clean up.

like most mammals.......including males of our species...have testes that kinda pull back up into the body....when cold or scared...leasst thats one excuse:lol:
so sometimes little boy buns their bits look really small or even not apparent but its cos theyve pulled back up. othertimes they look massive......

bandit was a bit of both to say the least:shock::lol:

mm onion smell is territorial pong!!

Back