• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lop-eared rabbits

huppie

Mama Doe
Hello all

We want to find a friend for our bun. Our local rescue centre has 68 rabbits but only 4 are male and available for rehoming (3 extra males are reserved). A couple of them are very young and I am not ready to look after a young bun (maybe in a couple of years...). One of the others has issues which seem surmountable to me but not for hubby, the last is a lop-eared. He is apparently extremely friendly and loves being stroked, cuddled and even picked up (a total contrast to our grump :lol:). However, we though that lop-eared rabbits required a lot of extra work because of their ears. Is this true? Of course, Huppie gets the final say and we suspect we will just have to wait until she finds a bun she likes but is it worth trying her with the lop or are we asking for trouble down the line?

Thanks

Emma

No they require no extra work at all:D
I have to lop eared bunnies and one up eared bun:D

I don't think it makes much difference whether a lop or not. Do you know what sort of lop? Lops like the English lop with the huge ears may require more work but not the usual dwarf/mini lop. Obviously you do general checks as if he was an up eared bun. I'd see how they get on, he sounds lovely :)

think every bunny needs same amount of lookin after hun :) Good Luck to whichever you decide on :)

He is very pretty. The site is in Dutch but he is Fonzie (he is the second rabbit from the bottom): http://www.dierenbescherming-utrech...57&PHPSESSID=da0edec0dd3e7ae8bcfe6c79ae3c8f28

They describe him as a Madagascan Lop but I have had a look at different breeds and that seems to be a Holland Lop. Apparently he is restful, affectionate and likes to have lots of attention! He was found on an industrial estate in a terrible condition apparently. If we got him I have a nasty feeling he would become my favourite as Huppie is a feisty grump and only likes attention on her terms, tee hee. That would make me feel seriously guilty - talk about no win situation, my brain is obviously deranged! He does look terribly cute. I might give them a go together.

Thanks for the advice, I wonder why I thought they were hard work.

I'll let you know what happens!

Emma

Lop eared bunnies (and dwarf buns) can be more prone to dental problems than 'normal' looking bunnies because of the shape of their face - although all sorts of buns get dental problems anyway! By making sure they eat lots and lots of hay/grass this risk can be minimised. I have 2 lop bunnies and one of them has had one dental in the 3 years I have had her, the other has never had one. Their ears don't really seem to cause them any other problems. Lops have great personality and can be delightfully naughty :lol: I'm sure you wouldn't regret it if you adopted one :D

Awww hes a cutey hun but how did you manage to pick out of all those gorgeous bunnys x :)

Awww hes a cutey hun but how did you manage to pick out of all those gorgeous bunnys x :)

There isn't really much choice. The centre will only let me have a boy for Huppie and of the ones they have most of them are reserved already. If I were looking for a girl the problem would be impossible - it is hard enough as it is having to scroll through them all. When I get to the centre I am sure I will be a wreck. Luckily (???) hubby is more sensible and will stop me coming home with more:lol:.

About the teeth thing - that doesn't worry me, Huppie gets checked out loads and we have a rabbit expert as our vet (talk about lucky!) so if anything does get spotted it can be looked after quickly. A weekly trip to the vet like some buns have might be a bit different though...

I know that the rabbits that require extra work
would be lion and angora as they require brushing
like everyday~

My friend's angora got its hair all messed and twirled
up because he didn't brush her :(
(The only solution to that is to shave her BALD and let
her re-grow the hair)

Lop eared buns can have more of a tendency to deafness... which is not always a problem as long as you make sure they know you are coming, or they can 'jump' quite violently if you catch them unawares.
It can be quite handy sometimes - like on firework night, or thunder storms, when deaf buns don't care at all!!

I had heard something like that, about deafness - Huppie is blind in one eye though so I am used to adjusting my behaviour to match. I am excited now as I have filled out the form of the rescue centre (what a mammoth thing it was too!) and I will wait to see what they say!

Emma

Back