• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just a general thread about how hard it it sometimes...

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Heya, just a general word really about how hard it is sometimes... today is 2 months on since i lost my first bunny - baby Isabella. She was a rescue and one of 4. Her silbings have lovely happy homes now but I still think of her and wish I could have given her a happy home too... fate had other plans and she is now with the angels at the bridge.

I dread the day I lose another but know it must happen someday...:cry::cry: I just try and make every moment a happy one for them and pray they live a contented life.

Its just so hard isn't it knowing that the love we give these little furries will cause us so much heartbreak...

I wouldn't change it for the world but just wanted to put pen to paper as it were.....

Jx

Last edited:
Its not the same, but one of Jellys babies died in august last year, and she was so pretty and friendly, and she had been offered a home with her sister to Kipper on here, and one of the sisters died. and i always wish she hadnt, bcus she would have had an amazing home. and whenevei think of the others u cant help but compare bcus they were litter mates.

its a horrible feeling isnt it

hugs xxx

yeah I know... It still hurts when I flick through my photos and see the pictures of Horthorne and Willow... dying so young after we did everything to give them a better life. But then I see Ivy, and all he's been through, and I think well all the heartache is worth it to see him soooo happy.

I cant imagine losing one of my buns, I dont know what I am going to do when it happens :(

I have decided not to keep rats again once my babies have gone to the bridge, I cant take the heartbreak of them all being sick all the time and knowing they will die soon :cry: Im spending as much time as I can with them and im sure they know how much I love them but im just ending up in tears every single day during free range time at the moment.

And I feel closer to my buns than I do to my rats so I dont even want to think about how im going to feel when one of them goes :(

My cats going to be the worst though, my dad gave me Smirnoff right before he died so I have always thought of her as extra special :cry:

Massive hugs to you too hun :love:

I honestly cant imagine my life without rabbits now though, I think I will always have them. But I have been very lucky with my buns so far and im not sure if I would feel differently if I had lost buns or had buns :( x

One Sunday morning in February this year I gave my buns their usual spring greens in the morning Artie and Bungee ate their leaves enthusiastically, I stood and watched them, drinking my coffee and got an 'all is right with the world' feeling watching them. Bungee was bright each time I saw her that day, at about 2pm when she was begging I said she was greedy and I'd give her a treat next time I saw her. I found her dead at about 4pm. It's totally beyond me how that can happen. I lost Scratty just less than ten weeks later, Scrat was my whole world, I just can't believe I lost her so young, so soon after Bungee. I was just getting a grip of things again and when Esme went for her spay she stopped breathing under general anaesthetic, fortunately she survived it but I keep looking at her and realising how close I came to losing her as well. I know I'll keep putting myself through it though as I just can't imagine my world without bunnies in it.

I agree with you 100% I lost Honey on the 9 june this year & i still have a cry, I wish every day she was still here with me. They do become apart of your family, & you love them the same, i know i did, But i do know it gets better with time. I lost my little dog pepe 10 years ago, & i still miss him, but at least when we talk about him, we always have a smile has he was a lovely & naughty dog lol so i know in time i will be able to do the same with Honey.
((((Hugs)))) to you all as i know just how painful it is xxx

Heya, just a general word really about how hard it is sometimes... today is 2 months on since i lost my first bunny - baby Isabella. She was a rescue and one of 4. Her silbings have lovely happy homes now but I still think of her and wish I could have given her a happy home too... fate had other plans and she is now with the angels at the bridge.

I dread the day I lose another but know it must happen someday...:cry::cry: I just try and make every moment a happy one for them and pray they live a contented life.

Its just so hard isn't it knowing that the love we give these little furries will cause us so much heartbreak...

I wouldn't change it for the world but just wanted to put pen to paper as it were.....

Jx

That is exactly how I feel and know how lucky I am each time I look out the window and see them. Both my current ones have been very poorly at times but pulled through and I am grateful for every day with them.

Bunny Buddy - that must be so hard, you wake up in the morning and play with them all day and then suddenly this happens. Hugs.

I love both my bunnies, but have a special bond with Homer. I dread the day I lose either of them.

I feel horribly guilty when I think of my past two bunnies. I never realised just how serious Benji's illness was. And although, at the time, I did not know enough to question my vets, I still feel as if I should have done something differently the day before she died. My vets used to clip teeth, and she was having to go back every few weeks for this. The last time we were sent to another vets, of the same branch, and they wrapped her in a towel and told me to wait whilst they did it... I think the stress of it contributed to her death. And with Bonnie, Benji's buddy, I absolutely hate myself. I was depressed when she fell ill, and didn't really have the energy to argue with the vet (who was a complete :censored: and admitted she knew nothing about rabbits). If I'd known what I do now, then I'm not sure Bonnie would have died.

But if she hadn't, I wouldn't have adopted Barney... and I absolutely adore him... so it's all so confusing in my head.

I lost my darling Cuzzy who was a Sheltie Guinea Pig in November last year, he was only 6 months old. It looked like he had genetic problems, although displaying signs of URI's and a middle ear infection he didn't have any outward signs.

I was devestated we had such a close bond. But my love for him means I can help other pigs. I believe Cuzzy was sent for a reason. Animal care is my calling I have realised. :)

So try to look at the positives however hard that may be. (((hugs)))

Louise

For the 1st time in my whole life i decided to get a baby bunny, he was 8 weeks old when i got him he was a lovely blue butterfly called him scratch, i had never had a baby bunny in my whole life as my parents would never let us have 1, so i thought this little bunny is my first and at the time i thought i was spoilin him buyin him treats (choc drops honey sticks etc) little did i no at the time i was killing my baby bunny with all that ****, as i didnt no much about the keepin of bunnys till i sadly had to have my little fella pts on the 9th of june this year :cry: and i no in my heart i killed that little man with my kindness thru not knowin enough about bunnys, and i feel so sorry for my little man he was such a loving bunny and thru my ignorance i killed my man and now am crying again writin this, after i joined RU which i thank every1 who helped me thru my sad time, i now have 2 little sisters who are 17 weeks old and thru the help of RU members and readin books i no what to feed them and what not to feed them .. But i WISH with all my heart i Knew then what i no now and my little fella would still be here :cry: R.I.P Little Man ya DONT no how SORRY i am but will NEVER EVER 4GET you Sleep Tight :cry::cry:

mine seems daft as i didnt even get to meet her, but i havent stopped thinking about alicia and what it would have been like to have her here, and my little girl keeps asking when she is coming to be Diegos friend (she is autistic so finds it difficult to understand)

The more you love them, the harder it becomes :( My rabbits are like my children. They are what I live for, work for and would die for if it was necessary. I've lost some of my wee ones and it never ever gets easier or any less shocking. However with age I'm learning to accept death slowly as a part of life. It is hard though. Right now I'm feeling particularly maudlin and can't look at any old pics without crying. All the old feelings of guilt and the what if's are coming back too.
Its so hard with rabbits. They are such a vulnerable species and they can just die without any warning or prior sign. Someone on here once compared them to ghosts, living ont he very edge of this world, a fragile exisitence like a bubble.

It will never ever get easier but I suppose we can all take comofort in the fact that we have made a difference to a particular rabbit's life and will continue to do so. If there is one bit of advice I can give, its keep busy and do open your home to needy rabbits if you can do. Its not replacing the dead but it is helping a new wee one which may take your mind off the grief.

Back