• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Bunnies

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I didnt mind having single bunnies in the summer.. I would get home from work at 3pm and sit in the garden with them all evening...

Now I have to work full time and dont get in till 6pm and its getting wetter and colder and soon be dark before I get home.,...

How will the bunnies ever get any attention in the winter??????????

I cant bring them indoors cos of the children being allergic... and I cant sit outside in the dark all evening with them as when I get in I will have to do the kids dinner and make sure their homework is done etc.

How do other full time workers manage their bunnies in the winter? Especially single bunnies?

I am in the same situ as you - my Dh is allergic to him and won't go in the shed where I keep him in a hutch at night. He obviously won't allow Smudge in the house either. I get up at 5:30 and let him out to his business it's so dark then and then put him in the run during the day (Except today when it was raining so hard the tarp wouldn't stay on the run -so he had to stay in his hutch - first time I have ever done this) If it is dry when I get home at 3:30 I let him have free range of hte garden till bed time - which during these dark evenings is 8:00 - 8:30.

I do try and go play with him when I am home. I am wanting a run built that I can attach to the shed and then I will convert the shed so that instead of a hutch Smudge can run free in the shed (Which will have different levels in ) and then the run will be 20' by 6' with a cat flap type entrance to the shed so he'll be fine then - the run will be an aviary type that I can sit in with him. Could you do something like that?

My garden is very small and I will have two hutch/run combos but thats about all the rabbit accommodation I could have :cry:

I also work normal office hours. At the moment I spend 1hr with them in the evening but obviously I'm going to have to keep moving it earlier. I think eventually I will sitting out with them with a flood light on so that I can see them. Also going to buy a full set of waterproofs including a hat :roll:

I will have to get some lights put up, but the neighbours already think I am mad... how weird would that look, me sitting out in the garden in the dark?

are they neutered? could a rescue bond them for you so that your buns were together that way if they dont get much atttention from you they would still have company..and somebun to snuggle with on a cold winter night?

They were together but Twinkle had a mucky bum constantly cos she was scared of Pickle so I cant put them together again :cry:

you could always try and rebond them and see if she is not as frightened now because she is more settled:D

I tried them a few weeks back and Pickle went for her again... chasing and biting her bum, so I dont think it will ever work :(

Is there enough space to take both rabbits on a date to a rescue centre and find a friend for each of them? Just because they don't get on doesn't mean there aren't friends for them out there.

If it is any consolation, I know how you feel - we are waiting for a suitable friend to turn up at our rescue centre (68 rabbits, only 4 of them male!!!!) and I feel guilty for not being with Huppie as much as before!

How do other full time workers manage their bunnies in the winter? Especially single bunnies?

I have two outdoor single bunnies :) Last winter I was working very long hours which made it very difficult for me :( This year it will be easier as I have changed jobs and wont be doing so much overtime :lol:

I can bring my buns in the house though, I get up about 5am and spend an hour with each single bun while I am getting ready for work, and about half an hour with my bonded pair. During the summer while im at work they spend the day in runs that were next to each other so they could see each other. During the winter they are in the house while im at work, but in different rooms. Unless the weather is awful they still get their free range garden time during the winter, I dont have a problem with sticking on a coat and sitting in the garden until 2am :lol: And ive lights up in the garden so I can see them :lol:

I find it difficult to find enough time for two single buns but other than spend as much time as I can with them there isnt much I can do :(

I might try finding new partners for them... I wont feel so guilty then :(

But you need to think about what you will do if they dont bond hun :) Not trying to put you off or anything if you can afford another two and would have enough room and time for them if the bonding didnt work then thats great :)

I felt awful that Buu was an outdoor single bun, so got Beau. Now they havent bonded I feel even more awful having two single outdoor buns than I did when it was just Buu. Im not sure what im going to do when I move, Beau will be a housebun but I dont know if I am going to try finding Buu a bunny friend. Im terrified that I will go and rescue two more buns to pair up with them and end up with four single buns :? :(

But you need to think about what you will do if they dont bond hun :) Not trying to put you off or anything if you can afford another two and would have enough room and time for them if the bonding didnt work then thats great :)

I felt awful that Buu was an outdoor single bun, so got Beau. Now they havent bonded I feel even more awful having two single outdoor buns than I did when it was just Buu. Im not sure what im going to do when I move, Beau will be a housebun but I dont know if I am going to try finding Buu a bunny friend. Im terrified that I will go and rescue two more buns to pair up with them and end up with four single buns :? :(

Yes I have thought I might end up with a garden of endless single bunnies :lol:

Yes I have thought I might end up with a garden of endless single bunnies :lol:

:lol: Thats exactly whats stopping me :(

Your in England though right? That probably makes it a bit easier for you because there are people on the forum that will probably be able to help you with bonding and there are so many different rescues :) They do bunny dating and everything which helps x

My Eclipse is a single bun and will be for the winter too. Due to me not being allowed anymore bunnies and the fact theres no way I could afford it :(

Back