• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help us please

silver grin

Young Bun
Hi all,

Well today we went and got a girl rabbit from the local RSPCA rescue centre after we took our rabbit there yesterday for a speed date session. Yesterday went really well, apart from a lot of introductory mounting!

However, now that we have brought her home she is a completely different rabbit. He is really interested in her but she won't give him a chance at all and whenever he goes near her she either runs away from him (and he chases her for a bit) or thumps and then runs off!

Does she just need some time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

This is all part of the bonding process, but she may also be wary of the new surroundings.

When I bonded my pair with my single doe we had about 4 hours of chase-thump-chase-thump-rest-repeat :lol:

When I adopted Amber - also from an RSPCA branch! ^^ - she was initially like that with Barney. She'd follow him around, but if he went near her (with intentions to mount her), she'd stamp in his face and dart off. I just figured that as long as they weren't fighting, then I'd let them get on with it... She still does occasionally stamp at him and run off if he's beung ungentlemanly. :lol: But they're very cute with each other now, too!

Where are they living/bonding at the moment. The area needs to be neutral and free from any smells that may confuse her. If you are bonding her in an area that was initially where your boy rabbit used to live and therefore chinned things, she may feel threatened and that is why she is acting unusual. Clean the area and try again.

he lives in his hutch in the shed and we wanted them to live in the hutch together as it is very big.

as soon as we got them and when we try to bond them in the lounge which has been cleaned but is where our rabbit resides when he comes in. They are both now asleep in the shed with our new addition in a make-shift hutch on the shed floor and we'll try again in the morning!

thanks

When we brought Ruby home, it took about 3 days for them to spend the night together! If they can smell each other all the time, they should become used to each other. We swapped Bobby and Ruby around as well, so they were living in each others 'houses' for a night.
They should be friends in no time. They just need to sort out who's boss!

Yes sounds very normal. He will get bored of chasing after a day or so. As long as there is any fighting they will be good companions. :D

Try not to worry, it all sounds VERY normal ! The only time to worry is if they start fighting and lock onto each other. The whole hump chase thing is absolutely normal and TBH a sign that you will have a good match given that your doe has not retaliated. My suggestion is put them together, let him hump and chase her as long as he gets it out of his system as assuming she doesn't have a go at him. Just keep watching them for as long as poss - sounds good to me though :D

Just a thought though, can't remember if you said - how long has your buck been neutered? It will take up to 6 weeks for his little hormones to die down.

He's been neutered for well over 2 years so its all well and truly out of his system!

I took a chance this morning and they've just been left on their own in the shed and i've just gone and looked in and both sets of food have been eaten and they are getting on fine :)

He sniffs her and she doesn't run off and he isn't chasing her any more

YAY :D

how big is the bonding area? if you give them too much space they will get terratorial over their 'half'

:wave:

nah the shed floor is quite small but big enough if she wants to get away from him. If I hd to "guestimate" i'd say it's about 4 foot by 2 foot

nah the shed floor is quite small but big enough if she wants to get away from him. If I hd to "guestimate" i'd say it's about 4 foot by 2 foot

hmmm not tooo big, but if they dont interact much just make it smaller, ib onded 2 bunnies this time last week n they just didnt inter act, until i made the area about 2 foot, which sounds mean but they had to interact or they would get funny about 'their half' of the floor.

But...i bonded both my pairs in the same size as you with no problems, all bunnies are different, but the two buns i bonded last week were similar to yours, he would go near her and she would stamp and move.

may be worth decreasing the area a bit.

xxx

Yes this does sound normal. :) Tika did the same, I put them in a neutral run made of Cubed grids with Netting over the top it was a 5x3 area so plenty of room for a Nethie and a mixed bun that is just slightly bigger.

Harvey was chasing Tika all the time so I sat with them ready for them to fight but they soon calmed down. They went through the whole jumping over one another as well! Quite funny to watch!

Eventually they settled and had some bunny love...lol Now they are so loved up they have no time for us bunny slaves! :D

With her being the rescue bun she will need time to adjust to her new surroundings as well as her new friend but it does sound like there is no aggression so they will both be fine:D

thanks a lot for the kind words of support and encouragement

hopefully you'll be happy to hear that our new little girl, Star, and our resident boy, Noodle, are getting along really well and he has stopped chasing her and she is the one that seems to be doing the chasing - I just want them to fall in love :love:

Back