• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!! I need help with baby bunnies ASAP!

This morning I just found one of my 10 4 day old kits dead. We have been having problems with the other female that was in the pen with them (there outside in a huge pen) and she was taking babies out and taking them away from the nest, I took her out and put them back in the nest and everything seems to have been going good yesterday. But this morning I found 1 very, very weak, wrinkley kit, that hardly moved and another dead. I took each kit out and looked them over and only 2 have the round bellies, and the rest are smaller and have some wrinkles. I have consitered feeding them myself, b.c I dont think the mother is feeding them all. Shes only 8 months old (didnt plan on breeding her) and I dont want to watch anymore die, if there is anything I can do to help.
Does anyone have any Ideas on what to do??

If the mum is relaxed enough you can hold the kits to her to feed. Sit her up and support her under the chest and hold a kit to her. Distracting her with food at the same time will help. You can also give her a bottle with lactol which will help her milk production.

If she's not got enough milk then leaving the kits with her and just giving them an extra feed with replacer is the next best option.

Rabbits can't carry babies. If they're out of the nest they've been dragged whilst feeding. Make sure there is a low (4" ish) barrier all the way around the nest so they are knocked of the teats when she leaves.

Yes mom and babies are now by them selfs in the pen. I'm giving her a scoop of pellets in the morning and at night. I'm also giving her lots of veggies.
What else should I do?

Well when she was starting her nest, she dig craddle like hole in the ground and then filled it with hay and fur. we put half of a dog cage over it to keep it shaded.

Try to limit her to the hutch if possible, otherwise the babies are going to get dragged out into the cold if they're attached to a nipple when Mum decides to go outside

Leave the nest where it is and put a frame tight around it about 4" high. You can just use pieces of wood/plyboard. Mum can jump over but it will keep the kits in the warm nest.

If I did that I would have to move her into the barn. I shouldnt move the nest should I?

Sorry, I didn't realise she wasn't in a hutch.

I'm not sure TBH...if it rains heavily, the babies could drown in a hole/burrow, or a fox could get them...but on the other hand you don't want to risk Mum rejecting them by moving them elsewhere.

It's a tough one. :?

Back