• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old bunnies and cold weather

sam2607

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave:,

I was just after peoples opinions on older outdoor bunnies. Should a rabbit aged around 6/7 be brought in from the cold? She has arthirtis in one of her front legs. Will this become worse with the cold?

Thanks for reading and all opinions welcome.

Sam

Hello :)

Personally I would not want an older arthritic Bun to be outdoors over the winter.
I am sure much can be done to insulate outdoor accomodation and to insure it remains free of draughts and wet. Plus extra bedding and snugglesafes can be provided But I would still not be happy having any of my creeky oldies outdoors over winter.

An old bunny will certainly benefit from living indoors, especially if they have arthritis.

I have a bunny of a similar age to yours, and she lives outdoors in summer and goes into an unheated garage in winter. I think it's best to keep them out of drafts and damp at that age.

My oldest rabbits live indoors all year round.

Arthritis can be really painful, especially in the cold, so I'd prefer to bring the rabbit in for the winter - are you able to bring her in?

I may have to smuggle her in to the spare room, try and keep it from my fella. She defo won't be good at roaming around (she attacks potties) so would she live happily in a large dog cage (I feel that the so called indoor 'rabbit' cages are way to small) and let her out during the day?

i would bring her in to just explain to your fella that her condition is just like ours and how would you feel if i left you out in the cold :lol: large dog cage and free roam of room would be fine, theres not going to be enough sunshine now for her to get the benifit from the heat, i would personaly boost her vitimins some stuff in a bottle during winter being an oldish girl with her condition, my two have a dog cage and they like a cover over one end of the cage too i use an old throw

She'll need room to roam around...old bunnies sieze up without regular exercise and can end up with sore hocks, muscle loss, etc.

I bring my two into the hall when it's really cold (it's warmer then outside but still cool, if that makes sense).

They're only 4 but Inky has joint problems, so we have to take extra care.

I also give them glucosamine, which helps joints.

Back