• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly's bites make me get nasty...

the 57 bears

Young Bun
Hi everyone, long time no see!

Molly has always been rather temperamental, grunting and literally pushing me away with her front paws at first... Now she seems to like me more, she is no longer territorial when in the cage and even pokes me to get some cuddles, which I think is very positive. But every now and then she will still bite my fingers, and I don't understand why, i.e. what's different when she lets me touch her and when she doesn't. She might just be moody, in which case I'll have to get used to it, but she bites so hard and deep that at times she even makes me bleed... Today's cut for example was the worst so far (I bled so much I was almost going to faint!!!). Second place is that time she bit my nipple...

I have been trying to ignore her bites and keep stroking her regardless, to show her that it's no use, but sometimes I just can't take it cause she hurts too much. More recently I have started to shout "Molly, NO!" everytime she tries to bite me, as it usually works when she does something wrong (like peeing outside the litter tray or fighting with Eliot...). When she does bite, I sometimes will give her a little pat on the head or on the lower back, of course without hurting her, just to associate the biting with something negative, kind of a "reinforced shout".

I do feel bad that I got to the point of "biting back"... Has any of you used this kind of rabbit-sized gentle "spanking" as a disciplinary method? Do you think it might be more effective than just shouting? I have always been against corporal punishment in all ways and at all levels... What have I become!?! :oops:
I love Molly and I hate it when this kind of accidents happen... I just want to show her my love!!! :cry:

my ted is like this, see is the more rewarding cos when she finally lies down beside me you think you are so blessed, ted has given me loads of nasty bruises and even tried to bite through my nail. this is slowing going away but she takes notion's, so first thing is she needs spayed which when i can afford will be done asap, try wearing thick clothes and maybe gloves on your hands so that if she does bite it'll be easier for you to ignore, every no and then it still gets me. just get being patient with her. if she is already nutured then hopefully someone else might be able to give you advice on how to stop her, i haven't got to that stage yet. hope this helps a little. good luck. :)

Has any of you used this kind of rabbit-sized gentle "spanking" as a disciplinary method? Do you think it might be more effective than just shouting? I have always been against corporal punishment in all ways and at all levels... What have I become!?! :oops:
I love Molly and I hate it when this kind of accidents happen... I just want to show her my love!!! :cry:

No - you are teaching her your hands are bad things that can hurt & are not to be trusted. She will just bite more. Hands should only be for nose rubs, feeding treats & things she enjoys. Punishing her will not fix it & rabbits react on instinct - not thinking through consequences.

Is she spayed?

If daisy doo does something cheeky i stamp my foot and say no, gently. In the wild they thump for danger, but i figured it might work for her if she is naughty. Even though she is only naughty by coming in the house when she isn't allowed as she chews things, and if i catch her chewing anything when in the house i thump. She just stops in her tracks.

I am blessed that all my buns are very loving but Willow is scared of heights and has serious issues when picked up. She bites me litteraly as if she is hanging on for dear life. I tried to avoid this except when really necessary and go to her level instead. It's usually the shoulder area she grabs so I just make sure I cover up well, usually two layers! i have forgot a couple of times and now how lovely scars to show for it. She is improving though which I largely put down to constant reasurance that she is safe. If you start disaplining them as you've described unfortunately it could aggitate her more and make her scared of you.

Carmel was a real biter/scratcher when we got her. I know she'd been passed around a lot of people previously and probably wasn't very trusting.

I've always done the yelping thing which she did respond to, at least for a minute or so. The most useful technique I found with her was, when it was clear she was in one of 'those' moods, I put my head down at her level and chatted with her in a low voice. Sounds nuts, but it used to calm her down a lot. Rather than bite me, she started lick my head as if grooming. A few weeks ago she sat on my lap and let me stroke her for 10mins or so which was a fantastic moment.

ted always had this worried look on her face when i screamed never mind the that my husband was sick listening to me haha. but sometimes when i've been stroking ted and she's been purring so i know she's enjoyed it, she'll give me a tiny nip after it which i think is just her way of saying thankyou, petal licks the carpet afterwards lol.

I also use the thumping method, although it's mostly to stop bunny being naughty rather that biting.
She always nips me when I stop stroking her head, never hard just a slight nip. She also digs furiously at the floor/sofa/me when I stop, although as soon as I begin to stroke her again she stops.
When bunny has had a fright, like a loud noise or a cat outside, I get on my knees, tuck my elbows in, hands flat on the floor, lean forward with my chin on my hands. She gets into this position when I stroke her too and I think she gets comfort from it.
I think if you watch your bunny closely, as I'm sure you already do, you'll notice little changes in body language dependant on mood, bunnies dont talk so they work purely on what they see so if you see her in a happy mood try to copy her position and see how that helps.

Back