• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

docs got wormsu/dgonna do all on 28day need guessimate on no.of syringes 2 buy post11

areia

Wise Old Thumper
just done a check on doc and hes deffinalty got worms poor thing, would panacur cure it or does he need a jab from the vet as well?
what i dont understand is how buns can get worms, i understand how cats and dogs get it, and as hes got worms would i have to treat all my other buns to ?
and how many differant types of worms can a bun get ?

Last edited:
One of our bunnies recently had pin worms - you could see the worms on the outside of the poos. Within three days of being on Panacur the little horrors had disappeared but obviously I finished off the nine day course. I know Jacks-Jane recommends a higher doseage with the Panacur but I can't remember what. You could try looking under the search option above.

You will also need to make sure that food/water bowls are kept scrupulously keen and away from poops. If any eggs are ingested then the worms will return. Our buns have not been on the grass since we discovered the worms, as well as the grot weather, I am sure the grass will be contaminated. I am not sure how long eggs are viable for but I believe it is some weeks.

Bunnies can also get tapeworms - usually picked up from a dog/cat/fox. I am not sure of the treatment for tapeworms.

Hope this helps.

thank you i think its pins worms as he does have a few on his bottie,
will have to treat them all then.
i check them all pretty much everyday, i just find it strange that doc whos an indoor bun most of the time is the only one who has them, as ive just checked them all, and all are otherwise clear at the mo,
can i just order online panacure or do i have to have some sort of license to buy it ? i know p@h will only sell it at the mo when theres a person whos allowed to sell it is available
vets are so much more expensive

You can buy Panacur online without a prescription.

Sorry, I am not sure where the cheapest place is. I was so desperate to start treating ours I rushed down to PAH on a Sunday.

You can also use Lapizole - I know some members find this easy to admimister and bunnies are supposed to prefer the taste.

just looked it up anniseed flavour glad im not a rabbit yeauuuuk

found some panacur for 4.95, i have 7 buns to treat hense why im looking for the cheapest if im to do all 7 this could not have come up at a worse time :roll: luckly i have no probs in administering, gonna be fun treating the girls, luckliy i only have two, boys are easy to treat for me anyway :lol:

thank you will ring vet to double check, obviously will have to get him done straight away, just thinking of getting for the other buns online as they dont have it yet.
oooooooo my heads in a spin now after finaly finding and reading other posts,
i need someone to say in english
doc has worms a 9 day course would not be good enough for him would it? would he need a 28 day course?
as my other buns dont have worms would i still need to do a 28 day course or can i just use a 9 day as a preventitive,

i understand the panacur and the lapizole are the same very clever marketing ploy.
sooooooo can i use panacur for a 28 day course like the lapizole and not have to do it again, and just do boosters of 9 days every year?

i never realised your ment to worm before neuter, to be honest i never realised domestic buns got worms, wild yes, so a big boo boo on my part and a lesson learnt tonight :(

There was an article in RabbitingOn recently so I know the Panacur/Lapizole is the right medication.

I think a 9 day course is fine for the worms although I have been told on good authority that you could double up and give 18 days. Panacur is usually used as a treatment and preventative for EC on a regular basis. It will not prevent bunnies from getting worms again but will kill them if the bunny has them.

If your bunnies have never been Panacured before it may be prudent to give them the 28 day course (more for EC than worms). Follow up courses of 9 days can be then given every 3 or 6 months. I know there is a lot of debate on how often to Panacur, I am aiming for every 6 months but some RU members give it every 3 months.

You haven't boobed over the worms. The main thing is you have spotted them and are going to give the right treatment :D

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
the debating on what ive read is what has confused me,
soooooooo right i now have to work out how many tubes, hoping someone could guessimate for me, until i get them weighed,
so if i do the 28 day course (as ive never wormed my buns before )
i have 3 x dutchies
1 x mini rex
1 x large im assuming lop shes a big girl anyway not a giant but she much larger than my dutchies, how many syringes would i need, and is it ok to use one syringe on 2 buns????as doc my dutch has then id rather not share his syringe, or would it not matter as im treating them all anyway

i also have two foster buns two who are 8 months old english crosses they are the size of my mini rex now going to have a word with donna tomorrow as they MAY be rehomed very soon but id like to get them started and give adivse to the prospective owners on continuing the treatment

One syringe has 18 graduations and each graduation treats up to a 2.5kg rabbit. For this weight rabbit you will need nearly 2 syringes for a 28 day course. This is a lot of syringes when several bunnies are involved!

It would be much cheaper in your case to buy the Panacur liquid. It is £13.04 from www.vetuk.co.uk for a 100ml bottle sold for cats and dogs. You need the 10% strength.

Rabbits can be dosed with this at the rate of 0.2ml per kg a day. Obviously not knowing the weights of your buns we can't work out how many mls are needed in total, but two bottles will more than dose them all for 28 days.

I have not used the liquid but I know members in a multi-bun household do.

Last edited:
I would get a bottle/few bottle of lapizole. It is in an applicator gun style bottle, you just squeeze the handle. Each squeeze is 0.5mls , you have to weigh the buns first and i think it is 0.5ml to 0.5kg of weight, Eg 2kg bun, 4 squeezes of handle. Though it tell you all the proper instructions with the bottle.

my vet has given mowgli lapizole he was on panacur, she said panacur was mainly to help prevent, whereas lapizole was treatments and help prevention, she is doing some more research and getting back to us later today
he on lapizole for 28days but some people recommend 6 weeks
just ask your vet for some

lisa

I would get a bottle/few bottle of lapizole. It is in an applicator gun style bottle, you just squeeze the handle. Each squeeze is 0.5mls , you have to weigh the buns first and i think it is 0.5ml to 0.5kg of weight, Eg 2kg bun, 4 squeezes of handle. Though it tell you all the proper instructions with the bottle.

you have it right :wave:

It is my understanding that both Panacur and Lapizole contain the same active ingredient, which is fenbendazole and if given as recommended be the manafacturers then there is no difference in doseage either.

For several bunnies by far the cheapest option is the Lapizole liquid. You will obviously need to have/get a syringe to admimister it.

ive actually gone for the panacur option for now got one for doc today at p@h and ordered more online which should arrive tomorrow 3.49 each as p@h dont do the lapizole, and i wanted to get something for doc straight away and continue his and all other buns treatment from the same name, gonna be fun weighing the others , :lol: administering i have no probs with i will see if they just take from syringe or on food if not it will be the no choice option, everything is in super clean mode at the mo along with me taking any worms off his botty if any come out, im so glad hes loves fusses as doing that, one handed isnt easy poor fella

Back