• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

feeding up a doe with 9 kits

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
candy the rex had 9 babies nearly 3 weeks ago, she,s started loosing weight:cry: i think the babies are draining her:cry: she has unlimited hay and pellets morning and evening, can i do anything else to feed her up abit, my vets have suggested taking the babies away:shock: but surely they wont survive without her will they:? im really worried any advice really appreciated

3 weeks is very young.

Maybe give her more pellets? But then shouldn't the babies be starting to nibble "real" food shortly?

Feed her unlimited Excel Junior and Dwarf. My Ferris came to me very skinny and in poor condition due to having 2 litters in quick succession. The Excel junior pellets improved her coat and bodyweight quickly even though her babies were still suckling

Also make sure she is getting greens..spring cabbage and dandelions are good for milk production..
Could give her extra carrot and some porridge oats..or even small amounts of rabbits mix as it is fattening

the foster bun I'm looking after at the mo who was over bred and skinny as a rake is looking after 5, now 6 week old babies and is stable weight and gaining a bit I think with unlimitted (and I mean eating enough to feed a small army) junior pellets, good hay, again unlimitted, 3 or 4 barley rings a day and a good supply of veggies, especially spring greens and other green veg, which the babies are nibbling with great gusto. It gives a bit of variety to as most people would get bored eating the same thing and offering a variety makes us eat more.

To give you an idea of how much junior they are eating I went through a 5 kg packet of Excel junior in 2 weeks. I'll start to tail it off a bit when they get to 8 weeks but at the moment they need all the nutrition possible.

oh and i forgot...a handful of redigrass twice a day too.

Last edited:
Back