• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For Those Who Have Their Own Sanctuary.

Jade950

Alpha Buck
Hiya, sorry to ask loads of questions a lot! But.. was just wandering for those of you who have set up their own sanctuaries:
1. How do you go about setting them up?
2. Can you run them from home or do you have to rent/buy a property?
3. Is there any special insurances or anything you need?
Think thats it for now.. Thanks alot :D Just wandering because it's something id like to do eventually.
Jade xx

Hi Jade, we have an unofficial sanctuary. We are debating whether we should become an official one, but aren't sure if we morally justify it!

We used to foster for a rescue, but found it difficult, mainly because we got attached to the animals and we didn't agree with some of the rescue's policies. We, luckily have our own land, 16 acres, and take in all kinds of animals, although lots of rescues rent a place.
We are very wary of letting people come on site as we don't have insurance, and being a croft with horses, sheep, pigs and goats, it is very risky. Our neighbour is in the middle of being sued by somebody who fell down a hole at his farm. So I suppose it would be something we would have to think about if we were to open to the public. However we are aware of rescues/ sanctuaries who open twice a year to their sponsors, and that might be something we would consider.
I'm not sure what the regulations are, but I think anybody can call themselves a rescue/ charity, but is more complex if you want to become a registered one.
All I can say is it costs a lot of money, holds a lot of heart break and gives you satisfaction every day, and we wouldn't change it for the world- even if we never get holidays.:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. So if i was eventually to just have a little home run and based sanctuary/rescue, would people still be ok to come and have a look round at the buns i had available for rescue ? Also is a resuce and a sanctuary the same please?
Thanks xx

well personally i see a rescue as someone that takes in rescues and gets them well again and then rehomed them.

i see a sanctuary as someone where animals go and stay there permanently. a safe haven for them.

but thats just my veiw, i think im wrong on that lol

well personally i see a rescue as someone that takes in rescues and gets them well again and then rehomed them.

i see a sanctuary as someone where animals go and stay there permanently. a safe haven for them.

but thats just my veiw, i think im wrong on that lol

Yes that's how I see it too. I am hoping to have a small sanctuary when we move. I would like to be the place that offers a forever home where old, neglected or otherwise unwanted buns can have security and love for life.

I think a rescue tends to rehome animals, although many end up keeping ones who are just too damaged to rehome. A sanctuary tends to take in animals permanently- most of ours are old, ill, have behavioural problems or are difficult to rehome because of their type- who wants a large white pig as a pet, and has the facilities.
I would think there would be less risks if you were taking people into your garden to see rabbits, but I'm sure some proper rescues will be able to tell you the legalities of it.

Yes that's how I see it too. I am hoping to have a small sanctuary when we move. I would like to be the place that offers a forever home where old, neglected or otherwise unwanted buns can have security and love for life.

Id like to one day, after ive done the whole career thing, have a Sunny Days Santuary :) for the same reasons

i wouldnt need tot do boarding anymore but i would keep the name and change it to sanctuary :)

Thanks for the replies. Think i'd like a sanctuary eventually, because if i hada resuce id keep them all lol!
xmissysjx: Do you have to have special insurance etc to run a bunny boarding company?

who wants a large white pig as a pet, and has the facilities.
QUOTE]

I would!!!!, and some sheep and goats, but you also have to think of the practicalities too. :( I dont think my neighbours is suburban oldham would be too pleased, but I am sure at least two people have chickens, they talk to each other! So anything is a possibility!

When I grow up I want a house with a big piece of land. I say grow up Im 26!

Thanks very much for that. So if i was eventually to just have a little home run and based sanctuary/rescue, would people still be ok to come and have a look round at the buns i had available for rescue ? Also is a resuce and a sanctuary the same please?
Thanks xx

You would need public liability insurance if you are going to have visitors.

Personally I would say leave rehomming to the rescue center if there is one and you can just enjoy looking after as many bunnies as you feel you can, thus leaving lots of space in the other rescue centers for other rabbits who need it.

We have a sanctuary which we run from home. It isn't open to the public so we don't need insurance. You would probably need to decide what your criteria is for taking in animals.
for example. we only take in bunnies over 5 years old or those witha disability or long term health problem.

You must bear in mind that these sorts of bunnies have extremely high vet bills and you will have no money coming in for them at all unless you get the odd donation, unlike a rescue who has more donations coming in as they rehome their bunnies.

Also it does completely take over your life, including your house, social life and finances. It is a 24/7 job, Some nights you get very little sleep, you can never stick to plans to go out and a holiday is a rarety. It can also be emotionally draining and heartbreaking

Saying that I love it and wouldn't swap it for the world

I agree to be aware of the financial side
As Liz has said we do get donations for the outgoing buns..but it doesn't cover there costs of neuter and vacs..let alone if they need other treatment..for example..little Dreamer had a retained testicle..most vets will charge extra to remove these..then he had a cyst on his bits so had to go back in to have that removed..he is an expensive little bun..
this sort of thing happens often so you need to budget for that.

Again as Liz has said..be sure you don't mind not having a day off..Christmas day you will be cleaning out and given meds to bunnies..you may have a sick bun which needs emergencey vets..and watching all through the night..for several nights ..

But the hard work is worth it:D

What would class as the difference between being a sanctuary and being someone with a big soft spot for oldies/difficult to rehome rescues and lots of space to take them on?

What would class as the difference between being a sanctuary and being someone with a big soft spot for oldies/difficult to rehome rescues and lots of space to take them on?

Not a lot really,other than the fact that a sanctuary may promote itself and be willing to be known as such, by vets and rescues. A known sanctuary is more likely to be approached by strangers for help, where as a pet owner who has a soft spot for the oldies, is more likely to stay a private individual who perhaps goes looking for the buns, rather than the buns coming to them. Could all be subjective though.

Does there have to be one, surely its one and the same thing.
I guess a sanctuary, as Hugo's there has said, has a select criteria of animals they take in, they are probably more organised about quarantine, numbers and finances. However anybody who sets up a rescue must be a bit of a softie and a glutton for punishment!

Does there have to be one, surely its one and the same thing.
I guess a sanctuary, as Hugo's there has said, has a select criteria of animals they take in, they are probably more organised about quarantine, numbers and finances. However anybody who sets up a rescue must be a bit of a softie and a glutton for punishment!

Having decided on what bunnies we are willing to take in we can no longer deviate from that, however much I may fall in love with a pretty young bunny. We also have to keep records of our incoming and outgoing finances where the sanctuary bunnies are concerned. Although there rarely are any incoming finances. We have designed a website and sponsorship scheme and also will hold stands at fetes etc to highlight rabbit welfare as well as advertise our sanctuary. We have links with specific rescues who often contact us if they have a difficult to rehome buns that they know fits our criteria. We can also be contacted by members of the public to take them on. We very rarely get to choose the bunnies that come here. Many of them have arrived without me knowing what breed or colour they are. I find that really exciting.

I don't supose there is a minimum number of bunnies that constiute a sanctuary but we currently have 28 bunnies here which is probably a lot more than the usual bunny owner who has a soft spot for oldies

Not a lot really,other than the fact that a sanctuary may promote itself and be willing to be known as such, by vets and rescues. A known sanctuary is more likely to be approached by strangers for help, where as a pet owner who has a soft spot for the oldies, is more likely to stay a private individual who perhaps goes looking for the buns, rather than the buns coming to them. Could all be subjective though.

I'd agree with this.

BTW, for Hugo's There. Have just looked through your website and am in complete awe of what you do. I'll be after a few of your mascots as pressies :). Are you doing the ones with suckers on yet?

We run a Retirement Home (a sanctuary) and have done for a good few years now - we are not open to the public as I don't believe it would do any of our buns any good. We have all kinds of disabilities and ages, breeds, sexes etc - we don't choose which buns to take, they come to us if they are meant to:love::love::love:

It is really hard work, heartbreaking and a financial strain but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I couldn't be a rescue (although I have helped buns in the past - rescued them, got them neutered and vaccinated, then they have been re-homed through a rescue:D) - I really admire that rescues can do this, I haven't got the guts 'cos I get too attached:oops::oops::oops:

Once a bun enters Ebony-Eyes then they stay:love::love: Each and every one of them has taught us something, the best thing being the love we can have for each one:love::love::love:

I truly would love to see more Sanctuaries setting up, at least now there are a few more than when we first became one and it does the heart good to see that others love elderly and disabled just as much as we do:love::love::D

Back