• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Special Bunny Walter! U/D Walter is OKAY! *warning..icky pics post 5*

Chipmunk_K

Mama Doe
So I got a new foster bun in yesterday who was abandoned in an empty house. The people who brought him and his misses in had called them Walter and Milly. Anyhoo walter seemed to have a nasty wound on his side, but as it seemed to be healing well I wasn't too desperate to get him to the vets until our lovely rabbit savvy vet Micheal was working (he's off this week) as I knew the other guy would just stick him on baytril without properly looking... Today it suddenly started oozing stuff, and I was like uh-oh there is an infection underneath even though the surface looks good and healthy, so off we trotted to the vets (made them squidge us in) and the vet seemed to think it was a gunshot wound as he could feel the track all the way into his abdominal cavity. So he was oh book him in for an operation and we'll have a look round inside. So we're about to leave, and then I remember that he has very strange man bits, so I said oh wait can you just check his privates, they are a bit strange... well the vet then has this hugely puzzled look as he has no uretha! Well I am taking forever to tell you this, but the vet seemed to conclude that the wound in his side is actually where he wee's from.....

:shock::shock:

So what I'm wondering has anyone (liz?!) had/heard of anything similar?

Sorry I don't have any pictures yet... the weather is terrible... but they will come I promise!

Last edited:
Wow thats a strange one :shock: Definately never experienced anything like that before

I did have a lovely special needs bunny called Walter once,does that count :D He was one of my all time favorite bunnies.

Keep me posted on his progress and can't wait to see pics

I am hoping the vet is wrong as it's going to be a very complicated one if he's right :shock: I am beginning to think my magnetism to disabled or wounded animals is growing to emcompass Kirsty! Sorry, mate :lol:

Okay I have some pictures (maybe this will get a better response!)

Here is Our Special Boy Walter...

Walter.jpg

And his wife Milly, who is easily twice his size... she's rather shy...

Milly.jpg

But she is soooo beautiful, with this mixed stripy coloring of black and brown... it's really special!!

Milly1.jpg

Then this is walters side

Waltersside1.jpg

....and a close up

Waltersside.jpg

Any Ideas? Anyone??!

Last edited:
the whole area where the fur is funny (like a weird moult line) like a lump, quite solid

Last edited:
both buns are lovely chipmunk
sorry, I don't have any ideas about Walter's wound
is the vet still going ahead with the original operation?

No as soon as he decided that it was where he wee'd from he said no to the operation, as in his mind the problem was solved :? But we are going to see the rabbit savvy vet on wednesday... so hoepfully!

No as soon as he decided that it was where he wee'd from he said no to the operation, as in his mind the problem was solved :? But we are going to see the rabbit savvy vet on wednesday... so hoepfully!

That sounds a bit strange and not really resolved, hopefully you'll find out more on Weds

AWWWwwwwwww They are lovely. I've been waiting patiently for pics and it was worth the wait :D

How is Walter doing now, does it seem to be causing him any problems?

I had something similar to this once, but not from his side, he had to have a wee hole made on his tummy, low down,

AWWWwwwwwww They are lovely. I've been waiting patiently for pics and it was worth the wait :D

How is Walter doing now, does it seem to be causing him any problems?

No it seems just fine, he doesn't flinch or seem to show any sign of pain when you touch him, and he licks it every so often to keep it clean... the fur around it never seems to be sticky or nasty, Apart from his side, he seems like such a normal happy bunny! He's so lovely, and so is Milly, they are a bit timid but ever so ever so friendly!!! It's just sad as if he really does wee from his side, I can imagine then never finding a home :cry:

that's so very odd - surely if he weed from his side, you would notice wee running down his fur *or* wee on the walls (not floor) of the hutch?! anyway i hope its resolved soon.

No it seems just fine, he doesn't flinch or seem to show any sign of pain when you touch him, and he licks it every so often to keep it clean... the fur around it never seems to be sticky or nasty, Apart from his side, he seems like such a normal happy bunny! He's so lovely, and so is Milly, they are a bit timid but ever so ever so friendly!!! It's just sad as if he really does wee from his side, I can imagine then never finding a home :cry:

I'm glad he seems ok in himself, I'll be very interested in what your vet has to say next week

to me it looks like a pellet wound:shock:
be a strange one if it is were he wees from hes obvious a very clean boy if it is, as i would of thought there would be staining or fur loss, have you actually seen him go for a wee yet ?
hes a loverly looking boy and so is milly i love her ears :love:

This is interesting. I did see a similar casein the pdsa with a cat whose point of urination was located near the abdomen. Amazingly the skin was never raw and the fur did not become stained. Nature took care of that and the cat recieved regular checks and was able to live a relatively normal live. It still pooed from the normal place funnily enough. I think in some case the internal tubes can get a wee bit mixed up, either due to illness or genetics. Just think, some humans have had the whole lot rejigged and connected to a cholestmy bag, which means they expel waste straight from the stomach.
I would definatly see your other vet though, its not something you can ignore and it may even be fixable. All in all though, Walter looks fairly happy and healthy. Keep up the good work.

No I haven't seen him go to the toilet at all.... they both came in with filthy bums, which are slowly clearing, but they both could do with a bath! But I'm hesitant to mess around too much with little walter. Trying to discover when and how an unlittertrained outside bunny goes to the toilet is not easy at all!! Especially when he is living with a healthy super rabbit like Milly, who could probably wee til kingdom come!!! I mean they came in on wednesday night I cleaned them out this morning... that's only two full days, and their hutch was filthy, like I haddn't cleaned them out for a month, surely one rabbit alone couldn't make that much wee and poo!! :lol:

Back