• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please!

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
Just popped home to check on the buns as I always do..
And noticed that Lottie has started making a nest.

She has moved all the hay into one corner and ripped massive chunks of her fur out :(...

She is only 4 months old, but the vet said she could be speyed and is booked in for Monday.

Do rabbits do this as a normal bit of behaviour.. She seems a bit young to me..
Also what do I do with the nest, I dont want to remove it only to find she has pulled more fur out and made another..
Would appreciate prompt replies to ease my mind :) Many thanks

yeah when i was a kid i had a rabbit who did this every year. there wasn't much about rabbits then or else i would have got her spayed. it's a false pregnancy.

Yep it's perfectly natural for a un-neutered female to make a nest. If you remove it she will probably pull out fur and make a new one, so I'd leave it as it is, unless it's unsanitary to do so. Also might put some extra hay in her bedding area so she can use that instead :lol:

Hope the op goes well :)

Thank you very much. I will leave it in there.. and throw in some more hay for her :)

Fingers crossed for the op on monday.. I will remove it before she gets home.. or do you think i should leave it until after she has recovered? :)

Thanks for the help.

yeah just leave it, it can be distressing for them if you remove it, even leave it in for a week if it's not dirty.

Nicky came on the forum to ask advice and said that breeding was not for her and she has kept the doe as a pet since then. So to shoot her down in flames is totally wrong. If everytime someone posts on here with views different from yours, they are treated like that, you are just putting people off asking advice. It is well known that breeders do 'assisted matings' and to lots of us its cruel. But i thought the idea of this forum was to help rabbit owners and share advice not judge someone harshly before reading their post properly. pam

Back