• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health advice please

Claire.W

New Kit
Hi

I am new to the world of rabbit keeping as I run a guinea pig rescue and re-homing centre so can I please ask for some advice.

I have taken in 2 unwanted rabbits. The doe keeps losing her balance when she sits up. So much that she completely topples over backwards.

I noticed this morning when she came to greet me that she has a runny nose which is a white colour and also she has what looks like a tiny cut at the corner of her and what looks like sleep in it.

The eye doesn't show signs of infection as they are bright and clean apart from this corner.

Can all the above be related and if so can somebody please tell me what the problem could possibly be?
Many thanks
Claire

No real advise, sorry. But sounds like she needs to go to the vets.

Hopefully someone will response with some advise.

Louise

Yeah she needs to go to the vets.Could be partly due to an inner ear thing when the balance goes.Let us know how the vets goes.Sending vibes x

Yep I agree, a visit to the vets is a must for any bunny not able to stand without wobbling over. Also, the white mucus in the nose is a sure sign of infection I think and will need some antibiotics probably. That may well be all that is needed to sort out the wobbling, but the vet will discuss any other symptoms with you just to rule out anything else.

Helen

Thanks everyone. I'll book them both a vet appointment and get them checked over together. They let me check them over completely tonight and both have spots in their ears. I think a top to bottom check up is required.

Back