• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young uns in the cold... More advice

jim-mapps

Young Bun
Morning!

As the weather seems to be starting to cool off, (we put our heating on for the first time last night) and our ickle ones are only 6 or 8 weeks old, (Not sure, will have to find out) are they ok left outside? I've heard that you shouldn't leave little uns outside when it's cold that's all.

Also, think we've got a boy and a girl :shock: How old before they need seperating? Or can they be neutered before they become erm... mature?:oops:

Cheers Y'all

They shouldnt be in together now till the boy has been neutered seperate them asap or the little girl might end up pregnant :)

Its still warm outside they should be fine. If there to live outside they need to be outside side now to get used to the cooler weather gradually so their winter coat grows. Make sure they have an area where they can get out of the wind and fill it with hay to keep them warm.

I think you should separate them until they've been neutered :)

xmissySJx has got 2 lovely hutches for sale they are P@H ones too they big hutches too :)

Morning!

As the weather seems to be starting to cool off, (we put our heating on for the first time last night) and our ickle ones are only 6 or 8 weeks old, (Not sure, will have to find out) are they ok left outside? I've heard that you shouldn't leave little uns outside when it's cold that's all.

Also, think we've got a boy and a girl :shock: How old before they need seperating? Or can they be neutered before they become erm... mature?:oops:

Cheers Y'all

I'm assuming they are bunnies??

At 8 weeks old they don't need separating. Up to that age they should still be with mum, although boy baby will need to be kept away from mum from 9 weeks. Boy buns plums will drop from 12 weeks up - but you need to check daily from earlier. If you get him neutered immediately his plums drop, you can keep them together. If there is to be any delay at all in his neuter then separate them pre-plum drop, then you can put them back together 6-8 weeks AFTER his neuter unless girlie bun is spayed too. Boy bun is fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neutered.

Ok - all you other guys who advised!! 6-8 week old baby bunies cannot get pregnant!:lol:

Ok - all you other guys who advised!! 6-8 week old baby bunies cannot get pregnant!:lol:

Depending on the breed they may mature sooner rather than later, as well as their own personal "body clock" - as with humans where some girls start menstruating at 11, or not until they're 16 or 18 - and it's better to be safe than sorry if you ask me.

I'm assuming they are bunnies??

At 8 weeks old they don't need separating. Up to that age they should still be with mum, although boy baby will need to be kept away from mum from 9 weeks. Boy buns plums will drop from 12 weeks up - but you need to check daily from earlier. If you get him neutered immediately his plums drop, you can keep them together. If there is to be any delay at all in his neuter then separate them pre-plum drop, then you can put them back together 6-8 weeks AFTER his neuter unless girlie bun is spayed too. Boy bun is fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neutered.

Just so I know I've got this right... It's ok to keep them together as long as the "plums" haven't dropped and I get them "done" as soon as they do?

Just so I know I've got this right... It's ok to keep them together as long as the "plums" haven't dropped and I get them "done" as soon as they do?

Personally I wouldn't; but if you feel comfortable to check for "plums" every day, and know you can have him castrated straight away; and also can cope with an accidental litter (and/or associated problems) if he retracts them (as they can do) then I see no problem.

It's done by a lot of Rescues - but don't expect big plums immediately - so you need to know what to look for. I've never been in a situation to do it myself - but you need to make sure you know the exact age of the buns. A week or 2 out & you could be stuffed.

The males mature first - females a bit later. Some vets will spay a girlie from 16 weeks, but she could get pregnant from 13-14 weeks plus.

If you do separate, keep them living next door to each other & rebonding won't be hard:D

Personally I would get a vetcheck at 12 weeks, see if he's neuterable & confirm with vet what I'm looking for if he isn't. If no plums by 14 weeks, I'd separate in case they are stuck inside. If he's neuterable at 12 weeks, I'd get him done immediately.

Last edited:
Aye we were thinking we'd put one hutch next to the other and put their runs together too, that way they're only seperated by the chicken wire... which I reckon is enough to stop them doing anything, can rebonding be a problem??

Anyway, after another look last night the boy might be a girl. It's so hard to tell, even with the pics I found on this site, we'll see what the vet says tonight I think before doing anything drastic.

Definitely best to check with your vet I'd say and err on the side of caution. If you get the timings right the re-bonding should be fairly easy but they can surprise you! Should be fine to separate with chicken wire but keep an eye out for persistent chewers!

Well we went to the vets last night and they are 99.9% certain they're both Boys... and if not they're 100% certain they're the same sex. :D

I'm so relieved, they get on so well, always cuddling up together and cleaning each other, I really didn't want to seperate them.

I understand boys will fight though if not Neutered? I assume they won't start this before 12 weeks? (That's when the vet said the could give them the snip)

Hi, yes they should be ok. Neuter as soon as at 12 weeks though on the dot to reduce any chance of hormonal fighting.
We had a number of brothers who were all neutered at the same time dead on 12 weeks. They were then spilt into pairs and both pairs still live happily together.
Also from the same litter I had a doe and buck together. the buck was neutered about 11 weeks old so there was no split between the two. (and no pregnancy) I know its not what everyone would advise but as Angie65 said its possible as long as buck is doen immediatly on 12 weeks. My vet also advised it would be ok and it was.
So you should be ok for them to stay togther. Good luck x x

Can I just clarify then that it is okay to keep them outside? When I had a bunny when I was younger she was kept outside but everything I seem to read nowadays sais they should be in a hut or garage. Now I could put him in my hut if it gets cold but the poor wee mite would be stuck in a hut with nothing to look at except my lawnmower and his supply of hay and sawdust!!!

Surely bunnies are 'made' to be outside. I have his bedroom well stocked with hay and I can see exactly where he is lying and he seems to have a wee cocoon around him.

Back